Tethering laptop to Motorola V600 cellular phone

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 10:46:30 PM

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 19, 2004 6:55:36 AM

C.Joseph Drayton <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

> I have a HP Pavilion zd7010us laptop running Windows XP Home Edition
> (Service Pack 2) that I would like to tether to my GSM/GPRS
> Motorola V600 cellular phone.

> I have bought a Linksys & D-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter. I load the
> software than plug in the adapter. The adapter is recognized and
> Windows loads some drivers for it. I don't know what to do from
> their. I can make my phone discoverable, but Windows only see it as
> a phone with Dial-up capabilities. How do I get it to recognize that
> it is GPRS capable?

That is how you use it, as a "dialup" connection. What you
still need to do is 1) set up a data profile using GRPS in the phone (this
can vary from phone to phone and you'll need to get at least the APN
setting from your phone service provider) and 2) Set up a dialup networking
connection using this "modem" but instead of a phone number you put some
type of "magic code", usually like *99# (or some other variant if the
data profile you set up for GPRS is not the first/default.

If you can't figure out how to set this up in the phone the
provider may be able to send to configuration to your phone. If you
lose or reset it though you'll be in trouble because it will stop
working.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 19, 2004 7:20:48 PM

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 8:45:52 PM

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Hi B.M. Wright,
>
> I put in the *99# in the phone number, and it works perfectly!!
> Thanks ever so much. AT&T/Cingular, Motorola and HP did not get it
> to work, and you did it in one sentence.
>
> Thanks . . . C.Joseph

Joseph,

I have the same phone with AT&T service. What kind of connection do you
get? I'd heard it would be too slow to be useful, so I hadn't tried it.

Joe D.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 8:45:53 PM