Sign in with
Your question

Any reason the ASUS Silent Knight won't work on an AMD3 quad core cpu?

Last response: in Components
November 28, 2010 12:33:09 PM

I am upgrading to 64 bit and bought the m4a78t-e board and a quad core cpu. I see that I need to replace the mounting bracket and assembly beneath the MB but everything appears to fit into place. I just don't know much about the Quads or if this cool looking monster fan will be compatible\usable. Is there any advantage to using my old cpu cooler over the stock fan that comes with the chip?
Thanks for any advice on this!!

More about : reason asus silent knight work amd3 quad core cpu

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:51:00 PM

The Asus is listed as an AM2/AM2+ cpu cooler but should fit your AM3 board.

Basically if you need to change the retention plate and it fits your board then away you go.

The advantage of your Asus is it will keep you cpu cooler and be quieter than the stock AMD fan.

Stock fans are ok, they do the job but I'd put the Asus on if it fits, these fitting instructions might help.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...
m
l
November 28, 2010 3:32:42 PM

beanoslim said:
The Asus is listed as an AM2/AM2+ cpu cooler but should fit your AM3 board.

Basically if you need to change the retention plate and it fits your board then away you go.

The advantage of your Asus is it will keep you cpu cooler and be quieter than the stock AMD fan.

Stock fans are ok, they do the job but I'd put the Asus on if it fits, these fitting instructions might help.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...

Thank you, Beanoslim, that was very informative, and I had been looking for that pdf about articsilver also.
I wasn't aware of the proper cleaning techniques and would have just wiped off the old goo without further cleaning. I'll let you know how it works!

m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2010 11:44:12 PM

beanoslim said:
No problem, I use this - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139175?utm_source=google&....

Just be aware that you only need a dot smaller than a grain of rice, too much is as bad as not enough.

So far, so good. The cpu hasn't melted or shut down so I'm going to say everything is going fine... with the exception of the $%# OS, which has suddenly refused to accept any Windows updates, fails them, says a boot file got corrupted when I tried to apply the update... just another day in Windows playland.

As expected, any "remedy" on the Windows support forum fails too, so I'm just going to throw in the towel and format the drive and start over. I've been doing this since Windows 286 (on 51/4" floppies!) and never had so much aggravation. For now I'm chalking this up to x64 just ain't ready for prime time in the consumer field... servers seem ok, but not enough programs are ready for 64 bit and limp by in "compat" mode.

Sorry, got of on a tantrum in the wrong forum. Thanks again for helping with my Silent Knight question.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 8:00:59 AM

Have you tried system restore or repair with the systme disc?

Glad the fitting went ok.
m
l
!