Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 12:40:25 PM

hi
i am going to build a new overclocking monster with watercooling and al the good stuf :) 

http://www.4launch.nl/shop/winkelwagen/22617

http://www.aquatuning.nl/shopping_cart.php/bkey/8f2f4f3...

note that i already have a haf922 850watt psu and 2 gtx470

i was planning this for weeks but now i see people hitting 5ghz on air with sandybrige!!!
and i wil do water!

what would be the best?

.......................... sandybrige (1155).............................................1366

core,s.....................4-(more???).................................................4-6-8???)

nm.............................32-28.........................................................45-32

tdp..............................95w...........................................................130w

pci-E.............................16..............................................................32

max oc on air~..........5.1ghz!!!...................................................4,4ghz

pleas help :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 

More about : 950 wait sandybrige

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 1:18:02 PM

Just so you know, the 1155 socket for sandy bridge will only have 2 and 4 cores at launch (the higher core counts don't come until next summer). 1366 will not get octocores either - it's limited to 6 at most. Also, 28nm won't happen - it's a half node, and CPUs are only produced on full node steps. The next step for Intel will be 22nm, and that won't happen for a year or so. Until then, it's 32nm only.

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 2:32:05 PM

But i do want to say at best you will see a 10%-20% increase in performance from Anandtech benchmarks..
Maybe the octocores will say something else..
Isnt 22nm Haswell and ivy architecture?
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 3:34:15 PM

yes it is ivy but i assume it wil use lga1155

a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 3:37:28 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
But i do want to say at best you will see a 10%-20% increase in performance from Anandtech benchmarks..
Maybe the octocores will say something else..
Isnt 22nm Haswell and ivy architecture?

I've seen others post more like 15 - 30% IPC increase over Nehalem, but we'll all know in about 6 weeks (Jan. 9 if the rumors are true).

Ivy Bridge is the 22nm shrink of Sandy, due in about a year from now, and Haswell is the next architecture on 22nm, due in about 2 years from now. And a year after that is the 15nm shrink of Haswell, whose name I forget..
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 3:40:46 PM

In all honesty i cant wait...Hope they launch in the millions as Intel has claimed..
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2010 4:07:41 PM

i hope the 2600K is cheaper than the nehalem extreme editions :ange: 
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2010 5:32:08 PM

killer pc g15 said:
i hope the 2600K is cheaper than the nehalem extreme editions :ange: 

About 1/3rd the price, if the reported $317 price is correct :) .
November 29, 2010 2:17:01 PM

I'd love to see some real solid benchmarks on a "shipping" Sandy. What I've seen so far is all over the map. Some show massive increases over Nehalem and other almost inconsequential ones! I'm not good at waiting. :( 
November 29, 2010 6:12:24 PM

halfcalf said:
I'd love to see some real solid benchmarks on a "shipping" Sandy. What I've seen so far is all over the map. Some show massive increases over Nehalem and other almost inconsequential ones! I'm not good at waiting. :( 

I am also anxious to move forward, but how can you NOT wait? Chances are there will some decent performance improvements. Do you really think they will launch a new chip that has zero or negative performance improvement? And the pricing looks to be attractive.

WORST CASE is you can buy the current generation of CPUs in January, and the prices should be the same or lower than today. Buy now = decent chance you'll be kicking yourself asking why you didn't wait a few weeks. I don't see the scenario where you will have "missed" some chance by waiting. Only one would be if somehow there is a crazy awesome sale now, or if they somehow sell out of i5 760s or i7 950s right at the time they launch SB, but I don't see how that will happen. Much more likely is that the price is the same or lower, and you have a period where there is inventory of both new and old in the system to choose from.........

I believe that many of the SB naysayers are really just trying to create a rationalization for why its OK to buy today rather than waiting patiently. Kinda like my 6 yr old trying to wait for Christmas presents.......
November 29, 2010 6:19:03 PM

hogan773 said:
I believe that many of the SB naysayers are really just trying to create a rationalization for why its OK to buy today rather than waiting patiently. Kinda like my 6 yr old trying to wait for Christmas presents.......

Damnit hogan get outa my head!!
!