Sign in with
Your question

New system won't boot when adding more hdd's

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2010 9:04:13 PM

Hi, I'm stuck. I've built a new system and have issues adding more hard drives.

THE SHORT VERSION:
new system from ground up, installed win7 on one and only hard drive attached to mobo. Boots and runs fine. Now I try to connect some of my old HDD's to the system to get to my data and the system won't boot.

THE DETAILED VERSION:
core i7-930 CPU in Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r motherboard, with 3x 2Gb Corsair RAM, WD Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD, ASUS DVD-RW SATA optical drive, nvidia geforce 7800 GTX vid card, Corsair TX700W PSU.

Above system was put together with just the SATA optical drive connected to SATA port SATA2_4 which is a SATA2 port, and the HDD was connected to SATA port GSATA3_6 which is a SATA3 port. I installed windows 7 and got the system up and running with no issues. Once I had the OS loaded and all drivers loaded and working I attempted to connect 4 hdd's from my last computer that contain all of my backed up data and media. These hdd's are a mix of maxtor and WD SATA2 drives all under 250Gb capacity. My problem starts as soon as I boot the system with these other drives attached. I have them connected to the SATA 2 ports SATA2_0 thru SATA2_3. When these drives are attached the system will no longer boot windows. It POST's and then shows the prompt for booting from CD and then pops to a screen that simply states 'PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT'. I have the correct drive shown as the boot drive in BIOS and all hdd's are detected in BIOS as well. none of these drives are configured in any sort of RAID so I'm stumped. Even if I try each individual drive on each individual SATA port on the motherboard I end up with the same result. The system stops booting from the SATA3 OS drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : system boot adding hdd

September 5, 2010 11:58:32 PM

Solved this myself with some more playing around. Not sure why it works now because I'd basically already done this. I just changed the order and cable arrangement around a bit. I just plugged one hdd in at a time using a random SATA port and booted and it decided to go to windows finally. Once in windows I went to disk manager and chose the option to 'import foreign drive' and the drive showed up with no issues. shut down, add one more drive, boot and repeat and now I have all my drives in win7 with no issues. Same cable layout and drive layout that I started with too.
!