Sign in with
Your question

Recover data from formated hard disk in Linux

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2012 12:07:34 PM

Hi,
I am a new user to Linux, and during installation of Ubuntu 12.04 My hard disk was formatted accidentally and I have no backup of data. I want to recover my data on same operating systems as I don't have windows cd with me now. Is there any free software available to do so. My file systems was in NTFS format.
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 12:51:18 PM

your best bet is to go to a computer store and ask for a data recovery, its not an easy task and it will cost you
m
l
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 3:29:49 PM

kashifbashir said:
Hi,
I am a new user to Linux, and during installation of Ubuntu 12.04 My hard disk was formatted accidentally and I have no backup of data. I want to recover my data on same operating systems as I don't have windows cd with me now. Is there any free software available to do so. My file systems was in NTFS format.

If you installed UBUNTU on the disk you formatted, the data & programs from Ubuntu could (and probably did) overlay some of your original data on the HDD. Recovery in that case is not simple as alvine stated.

If, however you are talking about a different HDD than what you installed Ubuntu on, then there are utilities that will do an "un-format" that may let you access your data.

Do a Google search for these. Good Luck!

edit --Typo :( 
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 2:37:07 AM

thanks for your reply. I have installed Linux on same HDD. So there will be some data loss, i know it. However going to some computer store is not a workable solution for me as i have to use my laptop almost 10-12 hours daily for office work and stores are opened in night time here.
So I want to use this recovery software side by side my work.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 12:40:38 PM

kashifbashir said:
thanks for your reply. I have installed Linux on same HDD. So there will be some data loss, i know it. However going to some computer store is not a workable solution for me as i have to use my laptop almost 10-12 hours daily for office work and stores are opened in night time here.
So I want to use this recovery software side by side my work.

The problem is, the more you continue to use your disk, the more data from the original will be overwritten, especially if you do a defrag. The longer you wait, the less data that can be recovered. By this time, I don't know that an un-format utility will even work..

Wish I had a better answer for you. :( 
m
l
!