Two hard drives on one computer do i need windows on both

Hello, i have a 60gb solid state hard drive and a 500gb normal hard on one computer do i need windows on both?
5 answers Last reply
More about hard drives computer windows both
  1. Not unless you are looking to dual boot for some reason.
  2. Most people with this setup install Windows on the solid state drive and a few select programs and then install any other programs on the hard drive and save all of their movies/photos/music on the hard drive as well.
  3. Short and simple, you only need one copy of windows installed.
    When you install windows onto your Solid State Drive, it will become your (C:\) drive, and the other hard drive will appear as your (D:\) drive.

Be sure to change the location where your media is stored to point towards the (D:\) drive so you don't fill up the solid state drive with music and movies!
  4. azathoth said:
    Short and simple, you only need one copy of windows installed.
    When you install windows onto your Solid State Drive, it will become your (C:\) drive, and the other hard drive will appear as your (D:\) drive.

Be sure to change the location where your media is stored to point towards the (D:\) drive so you don't fill up the solid state drive with music and movies!

Hi Azathoth, thanks for your help, my second hard drive is F:\ is this a problem because my CD/DVD rom is called C:\ and my system reserved is called E:\. I formatted the soild state drive and put a fresh copy of win 7 on, then i formatted the 500gb hard drive using disk management. When i install game on the big hhd because its totally blank i create a folder in it for the game i am installing, eg call of duty, and i change the location of where the game is going from my C: drive to F:, when i do this i get this message(The folder F: you have selected alteady exists. Installing to an existing directory may overwrite exisiting files and potentially cause some applications to behave abnormally). which it does because when i install COD modern warfare it wont install steam. I hope you can understand what i have wrote and would be gratfull if you can help. Thanks.
  5. Better take out the hard drive and re-install windows on the SSD. Then put the hard drive back in. Optimize the SSD:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Solid State Computer Storage