Sign in with
Your question

Two hard drives on one computer do i need windows on both

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2012 12:58:06 PM

Hello, i have a 60gb solid state hard drive and a 500gb normal hard on one computer do i need windows on both?
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 5:29:29 PM

Not unless you are looking to dual boot for some reason.
December 14, 2012 6:00:26 PM

Most people with this setup install Windows on the solid state drive and a few select programs and then install any other programs on the hard drive and save all of their movies/photos/music on the hard drive as well.
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 6:11:53 PM

Short and simple, you only need one copy of windows installed.
When you install windows onto your Solid State Drive, it will become your (C:\) drive, and the other hard drive will appear as your (D:\) drive.

Be sure to change the location where your media is stored to point towards the (D:\) drive so you don't fill up the solid state drive with music and movies!
December 15, 2012 3:45:07 PM

azathoth said:
Short and simple, you only need one copy of windows installed.
When you install windows onto your Solid State Drive, it will become your (C:\) drive, and the other hard drive will appear as your (D:\) drive.

Be sure to change the location where your media is stored to point towards the (D:\) drive so you don't fill up the solid state drive with music and movies!

Hi Azathoth, thanks for your help, my second hard drive is F:\ is this a problem because my CD/DVD rom is called C:\ and my system reserved is called E:\. I formatted the soild state drive and put a fresh copy of win 7 on, then i formatted the 500gb hard drive using disk management. When i install game on the big hhd because its totally blank i create a folder in it for the game i am installing, eg call of duty, and i change the location of where the game is going from my C: drive to F:, when i do this i get this message(The folder F: you have selected alteady exists. Installing to an existing directory may overwrite exisiting files and potentially cause some applications to behave abnormally). which it does because when i install COD modern warfare it wont install steam. I hope you can understand what i have wrote and would be gratfull if you can help. Thanks.
!