Disarming traps

Which talent is responsible for the thief's "thieving" skill necessary to
disarm traps?
Open locks? Or pick pockets? (where would be the logic in the latter?!)

"Torsten" <bestaetigung@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Which talent is responsible for the thief's "thieving" skill
necessary to
> disarm traps?
> Open locks? Or pick pockets? (where would be the logic in the
latter?!)

The stat that actually has to be a HIGH level: Find Traps. *D'OH*

The skill whose icon you click on, along the bottom of the screen:
Open Locks.

Jonathan.

I have a similar question. How do you utilize "Move Silently," or is it
built into "Hide in Shadows"?

Torsten wrote:

> Which talent is responsible for the thief's "thieving" skill necessary to
> disarm traps?
> Open locks? Or pick pockets? (where would be the logic in the latter?!)

ME

Torsten wrote:

> Which talent is responsible for the thief's "thieving" skill necessary to
> disarm traps?
> Open locks? Or pick pockets? (where would be the logic in the latter?!)

Find Traps determines _both_ find and disarm.
Those abilities increase when you add pct. points to Find traps
as the thief goes up-lev.

Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom

Jonathan, before givin some azz-kickin smartass answer you should actually
understand the question. ;-)

I asked how to become good in <disarming> traps, not finding them. And as
long as we agree on <find traps> and <stealth> not being responsible for
disarming traps we can now as well get to the question, ok? :)

There are three symbols at the bottom of the screen: find traps, "thieving"
and stealth. This "thieving" icon can be used to open locks, pick pockets
and.. well disarming traps. So the question arises - which talents have to
be high in percentage so that the disarming attempt will succeed more often?

> Jonathan, before givin some azz-kickin smartass answer you should actually
> understand the question. ;-)
>
> I asked how to become good in <disarming> traps, not finding them. And as
> long as we agree on <find traps> and <stealth> not being responsible for
> disarming traps we can now as well get to the question, ok? :)
>
> There are three symbols at the bottom of the screen: find traps,
"thieving"
> and stealth. This "thieving" icon can be used to open locks, pick pockets
> and.. well disarming traps. So the question arises - which talents have to
> be high in percentage so that the disarming attempt will succeed more
often?

Jonathan is right :) It is Find Traps. When your thief can find a trap,
in 99% of all cases he can disarm it. I know only a few traps that can
be found but not disarmed. And of course there is the situation that
another one finds the trap. Like a cleric casting Find Traps, which I
believe has a 100% success rate. In such a case, your party sees the
trap, but your thief might not be able to disarm it, because his Find
Trap skill is too low.

Wim

"Torsten" <bestaetigung@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Jonathan, before givin some azz-kickin smartass answer you should
actually
> understand the question. ;-)
>
> I asked how to become good in <disarming> traps, not finding them.
And as
> long as we agree on <find traps> and <stealth> not being responsible
for
> disarming traps we can now as well get to the question, ok? :)

It is exactly as I said, and you are not only an ignorant twit (for
insulting me) but a *wilfully* ignorant twit, for not reading my
answer properly, when it was correct in every detail.

The skill of FIND TRAPS determines not only how good you are at
finding, but how good you are at disarming. Exactly as I said, and as
you didn't bother to read.

However, the actual *mechanism* for Disarming Traps is to use the
"Thieving" button, which doubles for Open Locks, Pick Pockets and
Disarm Traps. Exactly as I said, and as you didn't bother to read.

I'm assuming you have at least one brain cell somewhere in there.
However, it must be hidden pretty damn well if you can't be bothered
to read what's in front of you, which answered your question in every
detail.

Jonathan.

John Salerno wrote:
> I have a similar question. How do you utilize "Move Silently," or is it
> built into "Hide in Shadows"?

The Stealth ability relies on both skills, yes.

Kish wrote:

> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> I have a similar question. How do you utilize "Move Silently," or is
>> it built into "Hide in Shadows"?
>

> The Stealth ability relies on both skills, yes.

So does this mean, theoretically, if you had a low "Move Silently," but
a high "Hide in Shadows," you might still be detected even if you are
hidden?

John Salerno wrote:

> Kish wrote:
>
>> John Salerno wrote:
>>
>>> I have a similar question. How do you utilize "Move Silently," or is
>>> it built into "Hide in Shadows"?
>>

>> The Stealth ability relies on both skills, yes.
>

> So does this mean, theoretically, if you had a low "Move Silently," but
> a high "Hide in Shadows," you might still be detected even if you are
> hidden?

No, it wouldn't work like that. If you're successfully hidden, you can
only be seen by those who can naturally see the invisible. However, you
need high scores in both to be able to count on hiding successfully.

"Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> It is exactly as I said, and you are not only an ignorant twit (for
> insulting me) but a *wilfully* ignorant twit, for not reading my
> answer properly, when it was correct in every detail.

Your answer was not correct in every detail.
You went beyond details into speculation.

The game convention of using Find Traps to also govern Disarm
Traps is not as obvious a one to see as you imply it is. There's no
good reason to treat someone as being an idiot for asking about it.
There's also no good reason to answer the question if insult is the
intent of your answer.

your response to the original question about what governs Disarm
Traps -

>The stat that actually has to be a HIGH level: Find Traps. *D'OH*
>
> The skill whose icon you click on, along the bottom of the screen:
> Open Locks.

There is no "Open Locks" icon along the bottom screen. You
realized this on your follow-up post. The first part of your answer
is far worse than the second though because anybody can make
a mistake.

~~~

Were you insulted?

He is wrong in the belief that you misunderstood the question. You
knew what you were doing. You understood what was being asked.
You just answered it in the manner you did anyway.