THG new 5.1 speaker review

cfule

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
i'm happy to see that there is a new speaker review of 5.1 systems at THG, i just hope that they have included the so called "king" (ProMedia 5.1) in their review, its been out since july 2001 and they weren't able to include it in the review. i wuld have been much happier to see Promedia 5.1, the cambridge 550, and z-680 head to head... i hope they will revise the review and include the promedia...

Newt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Perhaps if the review is revised they could break it into 2 sections: high end and low end speaker systems. On the low/ entry level end I would have liked to have seen a more detailed review of the Creative Insipre 6600/6700. I know this system was touched on in the Audigy 2 review, but I'd like to see a direct comparision to other entry level speakers (Altec-Lansing 251, Logitech Z-640) and some formal ratings.

Mehoo

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Hi, i would be thankfull if it was possible to add a Monsoon model in the review if its not too much trouble. I have a mm-2000 set and i was kinda wondering how well that company compare with the others or should i plan to upgrade them.
Thanks

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
The Monsoon's get good reviews. I have read some reviews in Computer Gaming World magazine, Computer Shopper and other places.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

rheostat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Has anyone else had the problem itentified in the review with the center channel on the Z-680 buzzing? It might just be the result of a poorly shielded speaker or speaker cable - the center channel is normally placed on top of a CRT - monitor or TV - the electromagnetic interference from the CRT might have been the cause of the buzz.

Any thoughts?

cfule

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
i dont own z-680, in fact am still looking for a speaker myself, am weighing megaworks 550 and promedia 5.1. but according to other users of z-680 during my extensive research, hissing is really a problem of z-680, but they said that logitech will try to fix it on the upcoming new units...

am still wodering if THG will include the promedia.....

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
With the Megaworks you will get very good bass, midrange and treble. They sound more accurate then other computer speakers. They do not sound harsh.

My advice, listen to both. The promedia's sound louder but get tiresome.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

rheostat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
That is unfortunate - I have just started looking for a 5.1 speaker system for my computer. I have a promedia 2.1 speaker system on another computer. Very good system except for one fault - klipsch used poorly shielded wires. The subwoofer picks up all kinda of interference. Yesterday it was a spanish radio station. I have to move the wires around until I find a spot that doesn't interfere.

I'm betting klipsch releases a new version of the promedia 5.1 soon.

abravo01

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Hi there,

Have to agree it's a shame the Promedia 5.1s were not included...

I am looking for a speaker set myself and have also been doing a bit of research. Guess at the moment the option for high-end solutions is between the Promedia 5.1 (600€), Logitech Z-680 (500€) and the Megaworks550 (400€). Prices are for Portugal, VAT and delivery included.

Now if the 5.1s pick up interference and are "tiresome after a while" and the Zs hiss, I guess when you look at price the decision should easily be for the 550s, isn't it?

Another site supporting this thought is Game Spot: http://gamespot.com/gshw/filters/0,12822,6018751,00.html Check the table at the bottom of the page. The 550s are actually an evolution from the 510D listed there.

You can also check the following:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm/go/hardware.view/product/1336

Would anyone disagree that the 550s are the best option?