Sign in with
Your question

Creat one master drive and two slave drives

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2012 3:14:41 PM

I would like your help on how to re-configure my Dell XPS 720, SERVICE TAG: DZBF1F1, to 1 Master and two or three Slaves. Presently, I have three drives which require me to boot up individually to access them:
1. Windows 7 Home Premium - 1863 GB total - 32-bit operating system
2. Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate - 699 GB total- 32-bit operating system
3. Windows 7 Professional - 699 GB total- 32-bit operating system
I do have 1 vacant hard drive slot available.
I wish to convert to a 64-bit operating system so that I can obtain an Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Editing program. I would like to retain the data I have.
Can you give me a step by step script on how to accomplish my desires? Additional suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you – Sarge
a b G Storage
December 14, 2012 3:57:34 PM

So.....
I am not sure why you HAVE to boot up to each one to access them because if they are in the system you should be able to access any of them by going to Computer.

Once you resolve that, which I would imagine is a rights/owner issue take the drive you want to use for your 64-bit operating system and back up the data you want from it to one of the other drives. Then remove the other 2 drives to avoid any confusion at all and then install your 64-bit OS on the drive you want after you format it.

Once that install is complete plug the other 2 drives in. Move their data to your now current 64-Bit drive and format the 2 of them so they are blank and ready to be used as you wish.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
December 14, 2012 4:03:37 PM

Hi Sarge, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Need to be much more specific as to your setup at present. The Dell 720 specs show 1 IDE connector, so you may have a drive or two on that port. One will be a Master and the other a Slave. There also multiple SATA connectors on the board for some, or even all your drives. These are single port drives and not listed as a Master or Slaves. Are some of your HDD's PATA drives and one or two SATA?

Now, you can't convert from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS. You will have to purchase and clean install Win-7 or Win-8 probably best on a new SATA HDD.
When you do that, you can have the new OS as the first HDD to boot, and have attached the other OS. Win-7 or 8 should recognize the older OS's and ask if you want to set them up in a multiboot configuration in the boot manager.

You could also place the new 64 bit OS on a separate partition with unallocated space, say on the 1863 GB HDD.

Alternately, you could install cleanly with only the new HDD attached the 64 bit OS. When done connect the other HDD's, and use BCDEdit, EasyBCD, or VistaBootPro to set up a nice multiboot configuration.

Once installed, you just copy over your data you want from the other HDD's to the new one.

Lots of choices you need to make, to know which path to follow.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 1:29:35 AM

Hi John - Thanks for your input. I will study your suggestions. Glad to be aboard - Sarge
m
l
December 16, 2012 1:39:53 AM

Skippy27 said:
So.....
I am not sure why you HAVE to boot up to each one to access them because if they are in the system you should be able to access any of them by going to Computer.

Once you resolve that, which I would imagine is a rights/owner issue take the drive you want to use for your 64-bit operating system and back up the data you want from it to one of the other drives. Then remove the other 2 drives to avoid any confusion at all and then install your 64-bit OS on the drive you want after you format it.

Once that install is complete plug the other 2 drives in. Move their data to your now current 64-Bit drive and format the 2 of them so they are blank and ready to be used as you wish.

Hi Skippy27 - Thanks for you input. Your suggesstion sounds fine. I will discuss it with my buddy. Sarge
m
l
!