Sign in with
Your question

Missing devices :(

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2010 11:04:48 PM

Just built a new computer that mostly works but I am having several problems.

Config: 965 Phenom II BE, ASRock M3A785GXH Motherboard, 4GB RAM, GTX 470, XFX 750W modular PSU, x3 SATA HDD, IDE DVD-RW, WinTV-Hauppauge 1196 PCI-E x1, PCI Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Windows 7 x64

Problems:
  • the DVD drive shows up but reading DVD is *incredibly* slow, we're talking hours here, shows up in BIOS as UDMA. I managed to start the Windows 7 install from DVD, but it was taking hours so I installed from a USB stick.
  • onboard video does not show up anywhere
  • onboard audio does not show up anywhere

• the WinTV card does not show up anywhere. The board is too long (runs into the heatsink) for the PCI-E x1 slot, so I stuck it in the 2nd PCI-E x16 slot.

Is the motherboard a lemon? I can run games fine (TF2 is 120fps at 1080p), for what it's worth.

This is all driving me nuts, thanks for any help in advance!

Edit: Fixed audio, switched SATA to ACHI by mucking about in the BIOS.
  • More about : missing devices

September 5, 2010 11:28:12 PM

So what your saying is that you've installed (or let windows install) all the drivers you saw necessary - but there are still discrepancies in the device manager (question marks or exclamation marks)?

Make sure the BIOS is running the sata ports as IDE.

As for the missing drivers - you can right click on them in the device manager and click properties - then look for the hardware ids and google 'em if you don't know which part is missing the driver.

You could also go to devices and printers and right click on your computer icon - click device installation settings - then allow windows to install drivers automatically - then do a windows update.

Otherwise search for the hardware id and seek the manufacturer's website for drivers...

Good luck.
    m
    l
    September 6, 2010 12:39:34 AM

No, the hardware just doesn't show up in the device manager in the first place. I installed the drivers but that really hasn't helped...
    m
    l
    !