SAMSUNG 840 SDD

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hi guys,
I just found a really good deal on this SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III. I did a search on Google and i couldn't found very much info about it.

Does anybody knows it? Pros and Cons. I read the 840 is not as good as the 830, but for the money 250 Gb at $160 (with the coupon discount) and a Samsung Disk it sounds quite good.

Regards,
S.-

You meant $150, right - LOLs.
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Dec-0-2012/3daysdeals14/index-landing.html
With promo code.
Personally that is about where it should be as the 256 gig 830 which I would prefer goes for about $170 on sale. In fact I'd take the crucial M4 or Plextor's equivalnt over the 840.
I'm waiting for the 840 Pro to hit the 170 mark - For my laptop. primarily due to it's lower power consumption as performance may be great in benchmarks but being realistic I don't think it's performance will diff signifcantly over the 830/M4 in real life usage.

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for the info RetiredChief!
Yes is $ 150 but $ 160 final with taxes.

Have you found the 256 gig 830 at $ 170 at sale now? that should be interesting. I read pretty good review of this model.

I haven't found 256 Gb Crucial M4 so far. Just the 128 Gb version
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=068A5C6BA5CA7304

and to be compatible with my MacBook Pro 13" / Mid 2012 model. It is strange they don't have it listed in their own website.

Thanks for the good info!

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the good data Alvine. Indeed, i read always good references from Samsung.

Regards,

Good review of 840
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review

Bought both my 256 gig m4 and 256 gig 830 for $170 off of newegg.

Don't get me wrong for $150 that is still a great choice. I think my one reral reservation would be reliability. Samsung is normally great in that department. But as with ANY new drives I take a wait and see approach - Was bitten when I bought to 120 gig Agility IIIs when they first came out - LOL.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
At $150 its not a bad buy, but you are sacrificing a little bit of performance for price but not a bad buy. RetiredChief posted a good review to read through, especially regarding the use of TLC. If you can get a 830, Sandforce with toggle or sync onfi nand (Vertex 3/4, mushkin enhanced chrono deluxe, corsair force GT/neutron gtx, ect) within 10-20 bucks I would personally go that route though instead.

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the very interesting review Chief!
Happy to realize i did buy a good SDD. Your 256 GB of the 830 SDD model for $ 170 is a gret buy indeed! today is $ 190.

Regards,

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the info!
I am sorry but "Sandforce with toggle or sync onfi nand" sound a bit too tech to me. I guess i have to read more about this stuff.

Cheers,

The reason its cheaper is because the write speeds are a bit slower. Then the pro or the 830 and it doesn't use the same NAND as the 840 Pro. So the reason why people say the regular 840 isn't as good as the 830 is that the 840 pro is a direct upgrade from the 830 and the 840 is lacking on the write side so it makes it a less attractive option over the 830.

Samsung 830 NAND:
2x-nm Toggle MLC
Samsung 840 PRO NAND:
21nm Toggle-Mode MLC

Samsung 840 NAND:
21nm Toggle-Mode 2.0 TLC

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the info! do you think i would really notice this performance boost from the 840 Pro version vs the 840? Or is more a realibitlity thing. If is not really noticiable i wouldn't really mind it. There is an extra $ 100 for the Pro version and i am already buying an expensive laptop like Macbook Pro for secondary use. What do you think?

Cheers,

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the data! Would i really notice the speed difference between the two models in the daily use? I don't mind waiting an extra second or two for checking my emails. I will be dealing with graphic design but no video or audio editing so far. Maybe there is other issues with the Pro model like reliability better materials, i am not sure. The extra $ 100 bucks now don't sound too interesting...hehe...

My personal opinion is that many people enjoy the read portion of the SSD's then anything else. When you turn on your computer with a ssd thats reading data when you are on load screens that is reading data. Now if you are someone that renders someone who writes to your drive a lot it would make a lot more sense to go with the professional version. Rule of thumb for me and maybe something to take with a grain of salt Get the best you can get with what you can afford. Review sites will always look at things from "the best" standpoint but the best isn't always whats best for you. $160.00 is a very very very good price from a company who makes amazing ssd's and for a larger capacity drive.

nondy

Honorable
May 16, 2012

you will notice those performace gains by doing benchmark test , but if your just gonna use it, you will not notice the difference between the two

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for the insight! I am kind of relief i did not mess up with this choice. Should there have to be better and faster SDD but for using my MacBook Pro as a backup work computer i guess it should be right. I already have a powerfull iMac for strong workloads.

Althought it is interesting to learn from the different SDD technologies and features.

Regards,

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks i am glad to know that in real workload those differences will be as much noticed.

Cheers,

Certainly yea when I was looking into SSD's for myself I wanted to know the difference because there are tons of different lines for different products and normally the cheaper lines use cheaper NAND which isn't nearly as good however with the samsung line it doesn't look like you are really losing anything by spending less its not like OCZ where you have the agility line as there cheap line then there vertex line and vector. Or with corsair NOVA, FORCE, GT, Neutron

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Actually, that is exactly what the 840 non-pro series is. It's Samsung's 840 "Agility" line. It uses TLC NAND which is cheaper to produce, doesn't last as long and has slower performance/higher latency. Its just that it performs better than some of its competition. But again for 256 GB at $150 its priced very well as long as you are comfortable with the trade-offs then its a great buy.

Yea maybe I don't know I don't really look at samsung having a line per say I mean now they do with professional but maybe it would be nicer to say regular desktop user versus professional/power user. I think of agility and I think the cheapest ssd one could buy.

Uzapuca

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Just curious how long does usually a SDD last? I have HDD from 7 years or so. I do not use them to full work load but to storage videos. Is there any statistics on SDD life expectancy as a main system and apps drive? I mean daily use.

Cheers

1) Have some 13 SSDs dating back to the Intel G1 - Not a single failure.
In Most cases SSDs should outlive useful life, Just the higher reliability ones might be 2 X usefull Life- LOL. That is 5 years down the road, SSDs will be Much Faster and at a Cheaper price. At some point the Price will probably be back up, BUT for a Much newer, Possibly different technology.

2) I would NOT compare the 840 (non-Pro) to the Agility III.
... The Agilility III uses Asyncrhonous NAND, did Not see that stated in the review. Better SSDs use Synchronous NAND or Toggle Nand. It does use MLC (multi-Level (layer) Cell). The Diff here is that MLC for ALL others refers to 2- levels per cell where as Samsungs "NEW" Nand is 3-levels per cell.
.. The Agility III is really a SATA II (performance wise) dress up as a SATA III SSD - hard to say that about the 840 (non-pro). Agility III performance NO better on sata III port than on Sata II port. This was documented in a review, and VERIFIED by me, as I bought two 120 gig Agility III. DO NOT miss-interpert, the agility III is WAY faster than a Mechanical HDD, Just NOT as fast as better models. NOTE: This applies to ALL SFxxxx controller based SSDs using Asynchronous Nand.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I was not comparing them directly as far as performance, I was just using it as an analogy that it was Samsung's "second performance tier" and the pro version is the "first performance tier" for the 840 product line, if you will. Much like OCZ's Vertex 3 is the "first performance tier" and the Agility 3 is the "second performance tier" for the OCZ product line. I was alluding to was that it is a stripped down/cheaper produced version of the "first peformance tier" product. Which is EXACTLY what it is.

I did specify that the 840 uses TLC and still performs well against other middle of the line SSD's. Just that it is not as good as the 840 pro and that if you could get a top end Sandforce with toggle NAND that would be the better way to go over the 840.

No you are fine friar I understood what you mean't I just was making a side comment that I wouldn't compare the two in terms of performance but I see what you did with it. Honestly though going back to the poster here the 840 will be great for him. Nondy earlier said he wouldn't be able to tell unless he ran a benchmark and I tend to agree SSD's are quite fast and its become increasingly harder to not pick up a decent SSD. For the price and storage I say its worth it. I bought my Samsung 830 256 last year I think for 320 dollars around this time so... a steal in my eyes.