Registry Defrag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've always wondered if it was necessary, and more importantly, safe to defrag the Windows 7 x64 registry. It would seem like the right thing to do, since the rest of my hard drive gets defragged on a regular basis. But I'm told the various disk defrag pgms don't do the registry. In fact, I've read on some sites that it's best to leave the Registry alone... that registry defrag programs like Auslogic's BoostSpeed (which I was thinking of getting) may actually corrupt the Registry. I would really appreciate hearing the folks' here at Tom's opinion on the subject. Thank you...

Solution
It seems to me that the term "defrag" is inappropriately applied to a registry. The registry is extremely organized, that's the whole point to it. Defragging applies to HDDs because, over time, related information will get scattered around the drive or fragmented as it's come to be known. Such isn't the case with the registry. Having said that , the actual file the registry is made up of would probably benefit the same as any file from a defrag of the HDD.

ram1009

Distinguished
It seems to me that the term "defrag" is inappropriately applied to a registry. The registry is extremely organized, that's the whole point to it. Defragging applies to HDDs because, over time, related information will get scattered around the drive or fragmented as it's come to be known. Such isn't the case with the registry. Having said that , the actual file the registry is made up of would probably benefit the same as any file from a defrag of the HDD.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, I imagine all registry defrag softwares have a high success to failure ratio. Otherwise, they wouldn't be on the market for very long...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you all for the quick responses. May I add one more question...
It would seem to me that software that 'cleans' the Registry of un-needed entries, errors, etc. (i.e. CCleaner), would be at greater risk of corrupting the Registry than a defrag prm. Not so?

G

When i was younger and wanted my computer to go faster, I experimented and download dozens and dozens of different programs... no gain. What gain is there seriously though? No faster boot times, No faster loads, etc. If there was, its because the person didn't do a normal defrag or a normal cleanup which can be done through windows. Search online, you can not find ANY real benchmarks between using windows defaults and third party programs because there is NO benefits.

G

The only reason those programs survive is because people buy them and there's a market for people who buy them.

G

I'm not saying anything against you. ;) It was just a reply to...

"Yes, I imagine all registry defrag softwares have a high success to failure ratio. Otherwise, they wouldn't be on the market for very long..."

They're in the market because people buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.