Are cpu fans the same for amd and intel cpu?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Im planning to buy a amd cpu and a new motherboard. And Im planning to replace them with my old system. I dont want to waste money to but a new cpu fan. I have a intel cpu right now. Is the fan also going to work or fit for the amd cpu?
Side notes: old mb is msi ms-7222 and new mb is ECS A740GM-M (V7.0)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Intel cpu's come with a heatsink & fan, don't AMD cpu's come with them?

Some aftermarket heatsinks come wirh mounting hardware for both cpu types, or have mounting hardware kits available separately.

Maybe I should point out that current intel heat sinks come in at least 3 different mounting types, so even interchanging from one intel cpu to another can be difficult.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

but my cpu is OEM so it doesnt have a cpu fan or heatsink. Im planning to buy this mb: ECS A740GM-M Motherboard and this cpu(OEM):AMD Phenom X3 8450e 2.1Ghz AM2+. Do u think the fan and heatsink will be ok?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I very highly doubt Intel would make a cooler that would work on an AMD chip, the only way this may be possible is if someone has made an adapter and I doubt even then Intel would allow its sale.

You still have not told us what cooler you are using, that is a vital piece of information we need to help you out.

You will have to get a new cooler for your CPU, try ebay, ALOT of people sell there stock AMD coolers there after replacing them.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
aftermarket coolers, like those from Thermalright, Zalman and Prolimatech, can come with mounting systems to accommodate both Intel and AMD sockets.

However, stock coolers are designed to fit one specific socket, so if you're looking at cheaping out and reusing an Intel stock cooler (which is rubbish anyway) on an AMD CPU you're out of luck.

I'd strongly recommend you get the retail versions of any CPU anyway - warranty is longer and *shock* they come with CPU coolers! A perfect backup in case the cooler you purchase should ever fail. And the price difference between OEM and Retail is negligible.

stone-69

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Both AMD and Intel CPUs can be had as either :
OEM version (no heat sink and no fan included) or
boxed version (heat sink and fan included)

But if you want to overclock your CPU, it is NOT recommended to use the stock heat sink and fan (the one included in the boxed version). The stock heat sink and fan simply isn't strong enough - they can't remove heat fast enough and your CPU will overheat :(

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Both AMD and Intel CPUs can be had as either :
OEM version (no heat sink and no fan included) or
boxed version (heat sink and fan included)

This never made any sense to me, always seemed backwards. It seems that companies that buy OEM would always use the stock heat sink. Wouldn't this be people like Dell, HP, etc.? And it seems that people like us that buy the boxed versions would be more likely to throw away the stock heat sink and use a better one.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
No, the only way it will work is if you jerry-rig it. And even then it will not cool correctly. Your best bet would be to just buy an aftermarket on and be done. Its not worth the Hassle.