Will this GPU work with this Motherboard?

My motherboard is a Dell Inc. 0M017G
I think it has one PCI 2.0 slot..
I was just about to order this graphics card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XANON8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1WC2HM36579GHH5WG148&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294

But I think this is a PCI 2.1 card, I remember someone telling me that a 2.1 PCIE slot card is backwards compatible, so I wanted to make sure before I buy something so I don't regret the outcome. Will the graphics card work fine with the motherboard?
Thanks in advance.

P.s. Here is a picture that I took of my motherboard, not that it helps much :??:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2jc7zao.jpg

Thanks. :)
10 answers Last reply
More about will work motherboard
  1. Hold that order.

    Pci and pci-e x16 are different slots.
    There seems to be a card already installed where the video card normally goes. I suspect that it is a pci video card that you are thinking of replacing.
    Check to see if the video card slot looks like the white one, or if it looks like the black one above it, only much longer.
    Note where the ridge key in the slot is located to tell the difference.

    While you are at it see what wattage the psu is, and how many 12v amps it can provide. Stronger cards need more power, and Dell will have given you a psu capable only of powering the components initially included.
  2. geofelt said:
    Hold that order.

    Pci and pci-e x16 are different slots.
    There seems to be a card already installed where the video card normally goes. I suspect that it is a pci video card that you are thinking of replacing.
    Check to see if the video card slot looks like the white one, or if it looks like the black one above it, only much longer.
    Note where the ridge key in the slot is located to tell the difference.

    While you are at it see what wattage the psu is, and how many 12v amps it can provide. Stronger cards need more power, and Dell will have given you a psu capable only of powering the components initially included.



    The slot that the current graphics card is installed is a white slot..
    It is currently a AMD RADEON 4500 series card.

    Here is a spec sheet from the software: Speccy..
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nahpt0wotz3l1on
    Since it was a lot of text, I had to upload the whole document.

    Here is a picture of my power supply:
    http://i55.tinypic.com/fblxea.jpg

    Thanks for helping me out bud :D Really appreciate it.
  3. I could not get the spec sheet.

    I suspect that what you have is an agp graphics slot. It is usually white.

    I suggest you download and run cpu-z. It is a small freeware program that will identify your motherboard and the graphics interface.

    Your power supply is not strong enough to run any card that requires auxiliary power.

    Also, AGP cards are now obsolete, and overpriced compared to newer pcie cards.

    I don't know that there is any solution for you that is reasonable to give you a significant improvement in graphics power.

    Perhaps it is time for a new build.
  4. geofelt said:
    I could not get the spec sheet.

    I suspect that what you have is an agp graphics slot. It is usually white.

    I suggest you download and run cpu-z. It is a small freeware program that will identify your motherboard and the graphics interface.

    Your power supply is not strong enough to run any card that requires auxiliary power.

    Also, AGP cards are now obsolete, and overpriced compared to newer pcie cards.

    I don't know that there is any solution for you that is reasonable to give you a significant improvement in graphics power.

    Perhaps it is time for a new build.


    I've ran the CPU-Z software as you suggested, here are my main results. If you want me to show a screenshot of any other tab, just ask :)

    CPU: http://i54.tinypic.com/2n9vywn.jpg

    Mainboard: http://i54.tinypic.com/zwb685.jpg

    Graphics: http://oi53.tinypic.com/2vnjh54.jpg

    What do you think? Does that change your mind in any way? :(
  5. The mainboard display shows a pci-express x16 interface. That's good.

    The amd 6570 system requirements shows the need for a 400w psu:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6570/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6570-overview.aspx#3

    Since your psu is 250w, I wonder if it is sufficient.

    Since the 6570 does not need a extra 6 pin power connector, it will be powered by the pcie slot, just like your current card is.
    I think it will work, but you might want to be able to exchange the 6570 if you have a problem.
  6. geofelt said:
    The mainboard display shows a pci-express x16 interface. That's good.

    The amd 6570 system requirements shows the need for a 400w psu:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6570/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6570-overview.aspx#3

    Since your psu is 250w, I wonder if it is sufficient.

    Since the 6570 does not need a extra 6 pin power connector, it will be powered by the pcie slot, just like your current card is.
    I think it will work, but you might want to be able to exchange the 6570 if you have a problem.


    Do you know of any good websites that has a easy refund service mate?
    Thanks for all the help so far!! I shall order the card tonight.
  7. do you have an LP bracket for this card? While it is a low profile card, the back plane is full sized and does not seem to come with the adapter.
  8. f2k8 said:
    Do you know of any good websites that has a easy refund service mate?
    Thanks for all the help so far!! I shall order the card tonight.


    Sorry, I am in the USA.

    Try a local shop, or read the terms and conditions of the vendor that amazon uk is using for the card.
    In the USA, Newegg is good about returns.

    As another low cost alternative check e-bay. If you find a used card, the seller will often offer a 7 day return.
  9. CaedenV said:
    do you have an LP bracket for this card? While it is a low profile card, the back plane is full sized and does not seem to come with the adapter.


    It does come bundled with a low profile bracket, I also have a spare that came with my PC.. so i think I'm okay with that part?
  10. geofelt said:
    Sorry, I am in the USA.

    Try a local shop, or read the terms and conditions of the vendor that amazon uk is using for the card.
    In the USA, Newegg is good about returns.

    As another low cost alternative check e-bay. If you find a used card, the seller will often offer a 7 day return.


    Thanks for all your help so far anyway friend.
    I think I'll go for Amazon, they seem to have a good return policy.
    Hopefully, there's no problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI Graphics Cards