Sign in with
Your question

Driver load sequence for asus P5K motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2011 9:16:08 PM

Hello, I just got a used P5K board. It came with 4 gigs of a data Vitesta memory (800Mhz) and a Q6600 chip. I am powering it with a Q Power 680w supply. Unfortunately it did not come with the Asus driver disk, so I am trying to load everything from the files on their web site. Is there a best sequence for loading the drivers; if so what is it. I tried to update the Bios but the update utility flashes a DOS screen for about a second and that is it. HELP

Mike
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2011 10:08:41 PM

Assuming you can get it to boot a Windows DVD, you need to install Windows, then the chipset drivers (sometimes known as the INF files, although that's an inaccurate name). After that you can install the remaining pieces in pretty much any order - they are generally independent. I tend to install the Ethernet drivers next, because that allows you to connect to the LAN and/or Internet, which makes the rest of the installs easier.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
July 25, 2011 4:27:07 PM

compulsivebuilder said:
Assuming you can get it to boot a Windows DVD, you need to install Windows, then the chipset drivers (sometimes known as the INF files, although that's an inaccurate name). After that you can install the remaining pieces in pretty much any order - they are generally independent. I tend to install the Ethernet drivers next, because that allows you to connect to the LAN and/or Internet, which makes the rest of the installs easier.

Ditto ^

DO NOT try to update the bios.
A failed flash can brick the motherboard permanently.
As long as it works leave it alone.
Later on, update the bios only if it will fix a problem that is important to you.

I would normally install the chipset drivers that come with the driver cd.
When you install windows, you will get a generic set of drivers that will let you proceed.
Since you do not have a driver cd, you must get them from the internet. In the end, that is not all bad since that is where the most current drivers will be found.

If you do not immediately have internet access, it is probably because the lan drivers are needed. Could be catch22 unless you can download them to a usb stick elsewhere.
The graphics card driver will be an early install, since you will get a better video resolution for all of the later work.

I will next apply the windows updates, followed by downloading microsoft security essentials.

Only when all is going well will I activate windows.
!