What memory should I purchase?

iBucky

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hey everybody, currently building a new whip and unsure of what memory I should purchase. I don't have a budget although anything over $200 I think would be unnecessary for my use. Here is the current details.

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M Pro
Processor: Intel Core i5 2300
Hard Drive: Wester Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution85+ 1250Watts
Graphic Card: Not yet decided

I'm interested in the Corsair CML Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
What are your suggestions?
Also some suggestions for graphics card would be nice, keeping in my I don't do any hardcore gaming.

Thanks in advanced

Solution
I personally prefer G.Skill. I've only ever used it, and it's absolutely rock solid - never had one single problem related to G.Skill's RAM.

I'd say that their Ripjaws X series is what you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231441
That's one of the cheapest kits they have which is 16GB. It should work perfectly for what you have - I'm not even going to question your need for that much RAM because I run 12GB myself, and have had it completely maxed out a few times. Never hurts to have too much. :D In all honesty, yes, they DO offer technically faster RAM, but the difference would be so small it won't even be anywhere near noticeable. They do have different colors, though, if it matters. :)

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I personally prefer G.Skill. I've only ever used it, and it's absolutely rock solid - never had one single problem related to G.Skill's RAM.

I'd say that their Ripjaws X series is what you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231441
That's one of the cheapest kits they have which is 16GB. It should work perfectly for what you have - I'm not even going to question your need for that much RAM because I run 12GB myself, and have had it completely maxed out a few times. Never hurts to have too much. :D In all honesty, yes, they DO offer technically faster RAM, but the difference would be so small it won't even be anywhere near noticeable. They do have different colors, though, if it matters. :)

Solution

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
The Corsair memory you mentioned should be pretty fine. And it's a 16 GB set without overprice.
Over time I've used both Corsair and GSkill memory /currently with GSkill, because managed to find better prices for it, but at the moment they are in par on prices/, and I had errorneous sticks from both, and IMHO it's easier to deal with Corsair.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished

Aside from just being great RAM, G.Skill's RipjawsX series is specifically tailored for SandyBridge processors (how exactly, I don't know) which makes it all the better of a recommendation.

Heck, it shouldn't take any effort at all to overclock DDR3-1333 G.Skill RAM to DDR3-1600. I understand that you can OC the DDR3-1600 even higher, but for $25, I'm not entirely sure it's still worth it. Like I tell people, yes, the technical specifications do say that it should be faster, but once you use them side-by-side, you'll see that anything over a $30 difference in price will be better spend elsewhere, unless you're an extreme overclocker who will be pushing the limits of everything in your system.

Good luck with your massive amounts of new RAM. :D

TRENDING THREADS