Unexplained system slowdown, please help

cmcgrath1986

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hey everyone,

So this problem has been going on about a week. I connected my DVD-RW drive via the SATA connection of my motherboard, turned my system on, and immediately had this strange problem. My computer works fine until I start running a video intensive program or game, then it immediately starts to slow down to a crawl. My FPS will go down to 10-20 and every game will be unplayable. I'm having no crashes whatsoever or artifacting, and have heard no system beeps either. Here are the specs on my system;

EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked
Gigabyte EP45-UDP3 rev. 1.1 mobo (BIOS flashed to current F10)
Intel E8400 @ 3ghz
G.Skill 8gb RAM, DDR2 1066
Corsair TX750W PSU
ASUS Xonar STX Essence
WD 150gb Velociraptor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I haven't OC'd the system at all and I'm at all the optimized defaults. I spent the other day running memtest and it showed no errors, I've reformatted the hard drive, unplugged and replugged back in every piece of hardware in the system, run Furmark, checked CPU-Z and GPU-Z, and still can't find out what the damn problem is. The one thing I notice, however, is that no matter what game I'm playing now, even during the most intense periods, my vid card temps never go above 43c, which is idle for me.

So, what am I doing wrong and how can I fix this? Thank you in advance.

jcpwn3r

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
1. Check if everything is plugged in properly
2. Download CPU-Z and see if you're running on 6x multiplier instead of 9x. This used to happen to me quite a lot
3. Go into the BIOS and change the multiplier to 9 just in case and save it that way.

reinstall the latest drivers just for good measure.

cmcgrath1986

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

Thanks for the response.

I just checked and I'm running at 9x, and once again checked all the connections on my system. From the tests I've run it seems all my hardware is running perfectly, nothing is overheating, could it possible be a boot sector virus affecting my system?

cmcgrath1986

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
If this helps any, I was running two versions of Windows 7 x64, one was a beta version that I hadn't updated which was on my 500 gig hard drive, and the first time I experienced this problem was when I booted up the beta version, shut down, then booted up the Win7x64 boot on my Velociraptor.

TRENDING THREADS