Sign in with
Your question

Is sandy bridge worth the wait?????

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 12:41:40 AM

i'm building a pc that is primarily gaming, anything else would be simple word documents or spreadsheets, no encoding, video editing, etc. the build i have right now includes an i5-750. is it worth me waiting to buy a similar priced sandy bridge example of this cpu and fork out the extra cash for the more expensive mobo that has the new socket or will this cpu handle any game i will throw at it.

games i play now are fallout, bad company 2, CoD black ops, and one or two mmo's.

since the cpu is rarely the chokepoint of a gaming system, i think the 750 is very capable and will be for a while, what are your thoughts?

More about : sandy bridge worth wait

a c 83 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 12:55:38 AM

I have no thoughts until you provide what resolution you intend to game at and what kind of graphics card set up your looking at.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 1:47:43 AM

i'm using an lcd with a native res of 1920x1080 with an evga gtx 460 OC'd.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2010 2:35:49 AM

My friends tell me compared to Intel's current offering it will be what Core 2 Duo was to P4 HT. I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere a Sandy Bridge i5 will be slightly slower than an i7 980X! Again I don't know if this is true so don't bash me, could be a rumor. If you need a PC go ahead and build it. i5 750 is a very nice CPU, I just built my uncle a new computer with one. Kind of thinking about dumping my Phenom II X3 720 BE for one. If you wait for Sandy Bridge and learn about Ivy Bridge, what are you going to do wait for that?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 5:16:49 AM

yea lol, i read an article on sandy bridge where they mention ivy bridge, and won't that be out like Q2 of 2011? so if i want over a month for sandy why wouldn't i wait for ivy. i5 seems like it has plenty of power to handle any game now or the next couple years.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 5:26:09 AM

thechief73 said:
Hi woltej1,

Here is an article I believe you will be interested in reading: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-pre...

And here are the current projected prices of SandyBridge:

http://extensiv.info/1blogimg/expreview102610.jpg

based on that i'd be looking at a 2400 or 2500, only problem is that the timeline is very inconvenient. i go back to a smallish college apartment on the 10th of january, so i don't really have room to ship all the components to my apartment, build the system and store the packaging until i know that all the components work.
also, i have a good p55 mobo for about $100, and i knew the mobo's for the SB will use a new socket and the mobo's will be noticeably more expensive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 5:50:40 AM

Ok, well if you already have a P55 Mobo, I would say just do a build based of from the i5-760, as you said it does have plenty of power and will give you several years of good use.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 11:20:59 AM

My stance is this: Right now, barring a NEED for an upgrade, waiting makes the most sense. SB could be HUGE based on what we're seeing, and since we know the current sockets are going to be obsolete soon, making a new system on the Nehalem platform doesn't make much sense...
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:14:49 PM

My vote is to wait. I am. But I'm buying on Jan. 10! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 3:05:10 PM

^ :lol:  How did I know you would say that? Hmmm...... :D 
m
l
November 29, 2010 3:27:53 PM

Heck, even I am having second thoughts. In another thread MU_Engineer is making the point that I might be better off with 6 RAM slots on an LGA1366 than with a Sandy. I'm maxing out my 12 GB on a regular basis and it's slowing down my work. Oh... what to dooooooooooooooooooooo? :( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 3:43:15 PM

:(  Sorry you have a tough choice to make. If your maxing 12GB and the max and SB may be 16GB(4x4GB, I have not figured that out yet) then I would be on the fence also. I know this is probably not an option for you but maybe hold out for the LGA2011, or just buy a 1366 machine after SB drops. I am leaning that way for myself, but it all will come down to those launch prices and performance numbers. So a wait for SB is the plan for now either way. :) 
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 4:33:33 PM

woltej1 said:
i'm using an lcd with a native res of 1920x1080 with an evga gtx 460 OC'd.

Personally I wouldn't expect much gain from sandy bridge in this case, with that set up a 750 is far from bottlenecking you. Now if you were going to SLI a couple 580's, than I would say wait for the extra cpu power from Sandy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 4:56:00 PM

loneninja said:
Personally I wouldn't expect much gain from sandy bridge in this case, with that set up a 750 is far from bottlenecking you. Now if you were going to SLI a couple 580's, than I would say wait for the extra cpu power from Sandy.

the next graphics upgrade i'd do would either be SLI 460's or w/e the graphics card in my price range in the future will be, i don't play the games or have the money to SLI $500 cards and build a system of equal performance to those graphics card.
m
l
November 29, 2010 9:30:43 PM

thechief73 said:
:(  Sorry you have a tough choice to make. If your maxing 12GB and the max and SB may be 16GB(4x4GB, I have not figured that out yet) then I would be on the fence also. I know this is probably not an option for you but maybe hold out for the LGA2011, or just buy a 1366 machine after SB drops. I am leaning that way for myself, but it all will come down to those launch prices and performance numbers. So a wait for SB is the plan for now either way. :) 

I would hope and dream that it could take more RAM, but all the mobos I've seen to date on the LGA1155 platform are either 2 or 4 slots. I can't wait, unfortunately, as after the second week of Jan. I will be PC-less while my gf will have my rig to do incredibly important work like FarmVille. :cry: 
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:38:16 PM

Is there analysis or benchmarking on the performance of T and S CPUs? Is there a price to be paid for low TDP, or do they manage to be the same (or even better! :sol:  ) clock-per-clock as the CPU's main variant?

Any speculation on how they do the power optimization?
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:52:17 PM

Complete benchmarks on shipping silicon are likely a month away. I'd love to find out that info as well!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2010 2:59:16 PM

Well, I do not believe that anyone has gotten their hands on those chips yet to bench them, very few SandyBridge reviews have come out to date, if not just only the Anandtech Preview, and I think its is always the i5-2400 and nothing else.

As for the power saving, I would think there has to be some kind of trade-off, there always is, otherwise they wouldn't make them a different model it would all be incorporated into one. As for how they get the power savings, probably starts with a advanced version of Speed-Step.

Here is a quote from the Anandtech preview:

"The T parts run at even lower base frequencies and have lower max turbo frequencies. As a result, these parts have even lower TDPs (35W and 45W).

I suspect the S and T SKUs will be mostly used by OEMs to keep power down. Despite the confusion, I like the flexibility here. Presumably there will be a price premium for these lower wattage parts."
m
l
November 30, 2010 4:03:36 PM

We'll have to wait and see what the benchies say. Hail to thechief(73)! :) 
m
l
!