SSD crashing sometimes (acts like if unplugged) and low disk space

This is what i have:


What SSD shows


I just recently had this problem with my SSD, not sure why.

Edit: after this post i tried disabling superfetch and stuff and got 12GB of free space. Still dosent make any sense...
10 answers Last reply
More about crashing acts unplugged disk space
  1. Do you have a hard drive as well as this SSD?
  2. ccleaner
  3. Hum... maybe the Windows page file? Windows dynamically reserves space for the page file on the system drive by default. I am not sure if the page file size is reflected by the method you used to determine your 90.7 GBs.

    You can go to Control Properties -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced tab to view your page files size.

    If that is the cause, you can move your page file to you HDD if you want to free up space on your SSD or set a static amount of reserved space by clicking "Change".
  4. Your screen shot suggests you displaying hidden files.. but are you displaying protected operating system files?
    I guess not...
    so you wont see some potentially massive ones... Page file and hibernation file spring to mind.
    Get that sorted... so you see ALL files,.. then see if you get a match on where all your space is going

    Cheers
  5. I'm thinking that he just filled up the drive with applications and data because there isn't any other storage. If so, then getting rid of the hibernation file and some other files would only be a temporary fix.
  6. yoji said:
    Your screen shot suggests you displaying hidden files.. but are you displaying protected operating system files?
    I guess not...
    so you wont see some potentially massive ones... Page file and hibernation file spring to mind.
    Get that sorted... so you see ALL files,.. then see if you get a match on where all your space is going

    Cheers


    That could be it as well. I think you have to open the windows folder at least once before they will show up as the windows system files are hidden until you open the folder....
  7. xFriarx said:
    That could be it as well. I think you have to open the windows folder at least once before they will show up as the windows system files are hidden until you open the folder....


    No... its a setting... Computer ---> organise --> folder and search options --> view ---> tick "show hidden files.." --> untick "hide protected operating system..."

    Cheers
  8. yoji said:
    No... its a setting... Computer ---> organise --> folder and search options --> view ---> tick "show hidden files.." --> untick "hide protected operating system..."

    Cheers

    No, I know that. But the first time you go to the C:\Windows folder they are set to hidden by default by Microsoft regardless of what your "show hidden files" settings are. In order to access the folder you have to click on a confirmation that you could cause doom and gloom should you change or edit them. I believe there is also one for the C:\Windows\Sytem32 folder as well (but not 100% sure on that one).
  9. xFriarx said:
    No, I know that. But the first time you go to the C:\Windows folder they are set to hidden by default by Microsoft regardless of what your "show hidden files" settings are. In order to access the folder you have to click on a confirmation that you could cause doom and gloom should you change or edit them. I believe there is also one for the C:\Windows\Sytem32 folder as well (but not 100% sure on that one).


    Yes - but thats a security thing.. just to prompt and make sure you know you going into a "dangerous" area...
    It has no impact on which files are included or excluded when you doing your "properties" to see the space used.. its the settings I described that makes the difference.

    Cheers
  10. run WinDirStat to show usage.
    http://windirstat.info/

    Optimize SSD:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

    Uninstall unneeded apps. Move data to hard drive....
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Disk Space Free Space Storage