Sign in with
Your question

SSD crashing sometimes (acts like if unplugged) and low disk space

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2012 11:17:34 PM

This is what i have:

What SSD shows

I just recently had this problem with my SSD, not sure why.

Edit: after this post i tried disabling superfetch and stuff and got 12GB of free space. Still dosent make any sense...
a c 81 G Storage
December 14, 2012 11:29:23 PM

Do you have a hard drive as well as this SSD?
m
l
a c 90 G Storage
December 14, 2012 11:33:18 PM

ccleaner
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 14, 2012 11:45:19 PM

Hum... maybe the Windows page file? Windows dynamically reserves space for the page file on the system drive by default. I am not sure if the page file size is reflected by the method you used to determine your 90.7 GBs.

You can go to Control Properties -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced tab to view your page files size.

If that is the cause, you can move your page file to you HDD if you want to free up space on your SSD or set a static amount of reserved space by clicking "Change".
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 12:18:11 AM

Your screen shot suggests you displaying hidden files.. but are you displaying protected operating system files?
I guess not...
so you wont see some potentially massive ones... Page file and hibernation file spring to mind.
Get that sorted... so you see ALL files,.. then see if you get a match on where all your space is going

Cheers
m
l
a c 81 G Storage
December 15, 2012 1:06:53 AM

I'm thinking that he just filled up the drive with applications and data because there isn't any other storage. If so, then getting rid of the hibernation file and some other files would only be a temporary fix.
m
l
December 15, 2012 6:34:42 AM

yoji said:
Your screen shot suggests you displaying hidden files.. but are you displaying protected operating system files?
I guess not...
so you wont see some potentially massive ones... Page file and hibernation file spring to mind.
Get that sorted... so you see ALL files,.. then see if you get a match on where all your space is going

Cheers

That could be it as well. I think you have to open the windows folder at least once before they will show up as the windows system files are hidden until you open the folder....
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 8:01:22 AM

xFriarx said:
That could be it as well. I think you have to open the windows folder at least once before they will show up as the windows system files are hidden until you open the folder....

No... its a setting... Computer ---> organise --> folder and search options --> view ---> tick "show hidden files.." --> untick "hide protected operating system..."

Cheers
m
l
December 15, 2012 2:54:27 PM

yoji said:
No... its a setting... Computer ---> organise --> folder and search options --> view ---> tick "show hidden files.." --> untick "hide protected operating system..."

Cheers

No, I know that. But the first time you go to the C:\Windows folder they are set to hidden by default by Microsoft regardless of what your "show hidden files" settings are. In order to access the folder you have to click on a confirmation that you could cause doom and gloom should you change or edit them. I believe there is also one for the C:\Windows\Sytem32 folder as well (but not 100% sure on that one).
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 3:24:02 PM

xFriarx said:
No, I know that. But the first time you go to the C:\Windows folder they are set to hidden by default by Microsoft regardless of what your "show hidden files" settings are. In order to access the folder you have to click on a confirmation that you could cause doom and gloom should you change or edit them. I believe there is also one for the C:\Windows\Sytem32 folder as well (but not 100% sure on that one).

Yes - but thats a security thing.. just to prompt and make sure you know you going into a "dangerous" area...
It has no impact on which files are included or excluded when you doing your "properties" to see the space used.. its the settings I described that makes the difference.

Cheers
m
l
!