New Homebuilder Needing Some Advice

Xardas2012

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I finally want to get back into the PC gaming world and upgrade from my Dell Dimension 4600. I've never built a computer before, but I've had average experience with upgrading the 4600. I've been reading up on building a computer from scratch over the past several years on and off and I'm looking for a computer that will play all of the latest games and those that will come out in at least the next 2-3 years if not more.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'm in no immediate hurry. If all the prices on these things slash in half within a couple of months, I'll gladly wait. I wouldn't mind getting it before Christmas though.

BUDGET RANGE: 1000-1200 Before / After Rebates (prefer to stay closer to the 1000 side).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet, Word Processing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I could use advice for a keyboard and mouse since mine are getting pretty old. I don't need a monitor though. I'd like to be able to hook the system up to my Sony Bravia 32" if that's at all possible. If not, then I'll take recommendations for a monitor that will fit within my budget.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm open to whatever is cheapest. I live close to a Micro Center and Newegg is basically where I've been looking for everything. Tigerdirect doesn't seem to have a few of the parts I was looking for and they don't seem any cheaper.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Intel chipsets and Nvidia GPUs. As for everything else, I don't care about the brand name as long as there's quality in the part (meaning I'd like cheap generic brands that work just as well as their major competitors lol)

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (might not get multiple GPU's at the moment, but I would like the system to be able to run them for future upgrades).

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I want to hook up the system to my Sony Bravia 32" LCD/HDTV/720p/1080p. 1366x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I prefer the Intel chipsets and Nvidia GPU's so that's what I'm looking to build with. Also, I'm looking for a pretty quiet build.

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor [$200]

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard [$180 after promo]

Memory: Edit: Found out that the mobo doesn't seem to support 1600 so I'm going with a 1333 since I've read that it doesn't really make too much of a difference.
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Case: Edit: Going with the Cooler Master HAF912 when it comes out on recommendation from Mr Pizza and 3dGameman.com [~$60] :)

Power Supply: Edit: Going with the XFX Black Edition on recommendation from sp 12 :)
XFX Black Edition [$93.5 after rebates/promos]

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive [$60]

Optical Drive: ASUS Black 24X [$20]

Graphics Card: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [$205]

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders [$100]

Additional Components: Since I don't really have any experience building a computer from scratch, I'm open to any suggestions about fans, heatsinks, cooling equipment, etc. that I would need for a build like this.

Total: $1048.50

Keep in mind that I'm not planning on overclocking this computer. Once again, I'd like to keep the budget under $1200 if at all possible. If that's impossible with the current CPU and mobo configuration, let me know.

Thanks in advance. :)

Xardas2012

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

What website are you getting those prices from? Newegg says the HD is $75 ($15 off with promo code) and the XFX black edition is $130 after the 15% off. Same prices on Tigerdirect except they only have a 1.5 or 2 tb HD there that is $85+.

Edit: XFX black edition is $116 after the mail-in rebate. $4 more than the Corsair, but I'll take your word for it that its better. Where did you get the $21 less though? I'll take all the discounts I can get lol.

Xardas2012

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Wow, that sounds like a terrific deal. Thanks! I'll add that to my list.

Edit: When they say compact, everything will still fit comfortably in the case right? I'm looking for ease of access with my first build.

Xardas2012

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Thanks for the link. :) That does sound like a terrific case. I'm definitely going with that one then. I appreciate the help.

Xardas2012

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Updated the graphics card with a MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB (I don't understand the difference between factory OC'ing and home OC'ing?) and the memory with a OCZ Gold XTC 6GB DDR3-1600 triple channel kit.

Could someone be so kind as to see if there's anything at all that I should change and that stays within the budget and whether all of these components are compatible? Thanks.

Edit: Trying to decide between the OCZ above and this:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ