Using SSD and HDD in same computer

jeremie4159

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hi, I'm building my first pc and I am buying both an SSD and a HDD for it.

HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

I am buying both because I want the high storage of the HDD and the speed of the SSD. I want my computer to mostly load up faster and load games faster. Does this mean I will have to save windows 7 on the SSD to make it load up faster? Does it also means that if I want to load my games faster I will need to save them all on the SSD instead of the HDD? Because with 128GB I wont have much place to do so.

Really I just want to know if I want "X" to load faster does it need to be on the SSD? Or can I save "X" on the HHD and make it load faster with the SSD?

Anyway I really don't know much about ssd's and how to use them with hdd's in same time. Any help wouldn be apreciated, thanks.

Solution
You have options.

1. Intel SRT(Intel Z68 and newer only, sorry it does not work on AMD without other software)
This installs EVERYTHING onto the hard drive and only your most often accessed stuff get kept in a 64gigabyte(the last 64 can be used for other stuff or left as over provisioning) SSD cache. I has the advantage of being automatic and learning what you use often to keep those tasks faster. It also has the down side of being only 64gigabytes and you have no actual control.

2. HDD boot and SSD games. This is generally not the recommended config, but does allow any games on the SSD to load faster. It is important to know that many online games make you wait for other players anyway so it is not always better. You may load first...
You have options.

1. Intel SRT(Intel Z68 and newer only, sorry it does not work on AMD without other software)
This installs EVERYTHING onto the hard drive and only your most often accessed stuff get kept in a 64gigabyte(the last 64 can be used for other stuff or left as over provisioning) SSD cache. I has the advantage of being automatic and learning what you use often to keep those tasks faster. It also has the down side of being only 64gigabytes and you have no actual control.

2. HDD boot and SSD games. This is generally not the recommended config, but does allow any games on the SSD to load faster. It is important to know that many online games make you wait for other players anyway so it is not always better. You may load first, but be waiting on the last players to load. If you are playing lets say SC2, you are waiting for all players to load either way.

3. SSD for Windows and your most demanding games(SWTOR/GW2 get a decent boost from SSD's while games like Just Cause 2 gets no boost and loads fast on a HDD too). This is the most common way to do it.
You install windows to the SSD then move as much of your files(docs/desktop/ect) to the hard drive(using the Location tab on special folders). You can also install the less demanding games on the hard drive(just make a folder like games and install them into it).
You get SSD speed for most every day tasks and the games you choose.

For slightly more advanced users, you can move your files to the hard drive using this method.
lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

You can also move games from the SSD to the hard drive if you are not playing then, but do not want to uninstall and reinstall them over and over. using mklink you can make windows see the game as still on the SSD while it is actually on the hard drive. Want more info on that, just ask.

Hope this gives you a start.

Solution
G

You absolutely can use both side by side. That's actually what I've done with my own setup.

When you install windows, make sure to only have the SSD connected and make sure in your BIOS that the sata port for it is in AHCI mode, not IDE. Usually it would already be in AHCI mode so don't worry if you don't know what I'm talking about.

After you have installed windows on the SSD, turn off your system and install the second drive. Now when you boot into windows, you'll see the second drive under My Computer.

Also, make sure to tweak your Windows system to utilize your SSD speeds. Here is a guide that shows you the most essential tweaks to get the most out of your drive:

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

And to answer your question about "X" loading faster, yes. If you install a program or game onto the SSD it will typically load things faster. I usually install all my games on my SSD and use the HDD for all my media.