Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2010 5:52:12 AM

System

ASUS Crosshair Motherboard
GTX 260 GPU
AMD Dual Core 3.0 GHz
PSU 500 W
4 GB RAM

So anyway, my new computer which was custom built for me by some guy was working fine for a few hours. Then all of a sudden it shut down completely. It just switched itself off without warning. Ever since, I can turn on the power and it lights up for like 2 seconds and then dies again. Nothing shows on the monitor, only the fans and LEDs work. Then they die.

I tried:

CMOS reset
reseating the Ram

Does anyone know what's wrong? Would appreciate the help.

More about : computer boot

September 6, 2010 1:49:02 PM

seeing it booted up and was working for a few hours I don't think its the motherboard not recognizing your CPU, but if u turn it on and then it shuts off, it could be a power supply problem or faulty CPU/motherboard. but I would check the seating of the CPU heatsink. grab a hold and see if it is firmly on. it may not be and the motherboard is shutting down as a preventative measure if it measures a sudden rise in temperature due to not a sufficient contact on the cpu. I have seen this happen. and perhaps during those initial first few hours the heat has caused the heatsink to slip off due to not being absolutely snug in the first place.

I would recommend removing the cpu and reseating it just to be sure, clear cmos and boot with 1 stick of ram and no hdds/peripherals except keyboard, mouse, screen. if it works, rebuild and see how it goes.
m
l
October 9, 2012 4:13:32 PM

Same Issue Here.
I hadn't used my old build in a while, and when I tried to turn it on, it didn't POST.
"CPU INIT" Was displayed on the LCD Poster

Specs:
ASUS Crosshair MoBo
AMD Athlon X2
8GB Corsair Dominance DDR2
Seagate Sata III 500GB HDD
Antec 650w PSU
AMD Radeon 5450 HD

I have already tried resetting the CMOS but no change.

Any help would be appreciated
m
l
Related resources
!