Michaelvash7886

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
So two weeks ago, my computer froze, I didn't think anything of it and powered it off then back on. However, I did not get any video and got a POST beep of one long beep followed by two short beeps. I am running an ASUS M2N-E motherboard and after some googl'ing it seemed (coupled with the fact that I didn't get anything displayed on my monitor) it seemed I had a problem with my GPU. I took out my 8800 GT and put it back in as well as my RAM, I made sure the connections were clean, but none of that worked. I had decided I was going to build a new machine anyways so today I got my 460 for my new machine in and put it in my current machine to see if my 8800 had bit the dust. Same problem.

Currently the only options I can come up with are that my PSU is not putting out enough power or that my motherboard's PCI-E slot has gone bad. All my fans are running and my LEDs work, my motherboard light comes on. Is there anyway beyond trying a different PSU to determine if it's the PSU or motherboard that's the problem? I have a second PSU I could try this weekend, but it's a bit of a hassle and was hoping to get some opinions here before I resort to that.

Thanks in advance.

50% or more of the hardware issues resolved here are fixed by replacing the psu. Usually we do a lot of prelimnary work to eliminate heat and other issues before suggesting folks find another psu.

You are fortunate to have a spare . . . swap it in. You need not physically remove the old one from the case to test this. Just make sure the old one is COMPLETELY uncabled from you system, and unplugged from the wall.

Michaelvash7886

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Really good info, I'll check over it, however from a quick glance I know some of it isn't an issue as I've had the system running for two years.

Well like I say I wouldn't have one if I wasn't in the process of building a new system. Honestly, I'm thinking the PSU may be it, as I've generally heard if something is going to go out it's going to be your PSU. Given that my 8800 needs so many amps, it seems the most likely culprit, but it'll be next weekend most likely before I can check it to be sure.

thechief,
Thanks. :)

Michael, the first thread links to what I call our "standard" troubleshooting thread. It was originally aimed at the all to common "new build won't POST " problems. If you are troubleshooting an existing build, a lot of it doesn't apply (although you would be surprised at the number of people who didn't originally include a case speaker).

Most of the thread expands on my breadboarding thread. I think that is what thechief had in mind.

Michaelvash7886

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Oh I got ya, you put together some great info for new builds. But yeah I looked over at it and actually had the not plugging video card into the PSU problem when I was putting my current PC together (a mistake I won't make again, I was so confused). Like I say, the most logical thing is the PSU that I will try with my new PSU this weekend, (it's like an 850 watt, way too powerful for this machine, so this will be merely to confirm that's the problem).