New graphics card not being detected?

sjbivo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi,

I just bought an XFX Radeon HD5770 but it is not being detected by my computer. My computer starts up without a problem and I can see the GPU fan is running but nothing comes up in BIOS/device manager or when I run CPUID. I have uninstalled the drivers for my old card (Nvidia GeForce 7800GT) using Driver Sweeper in safe mode and have tried installing the 5770 drivers but catalyst crashes whilst running.

My system stats are:

Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 (rev 2.0) motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Processor
2GB DDR2 RAM (will be buying another 2GB ram this week)
Magna ATX 500W Power Supply with 17amps on the 12v rail

Does anyone have any idea why my new card isn't being detected? Would my power supply have anything to do with it? It's about 5 years old but meets the minimum requirements of the 5770 (450W).

I have no idea why it's not being detected so any advice/help would be great.

Thanks

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
sounds to me like its dead on arrival.. call radeon and tell em to send you a card that works.. you gotta rma it. you did everything your supposed to as far as the drivers.. the only thing left is that the cards dead.. do you have another computer you can put it in to see if its detected? when my 4890 died the fans were spinning and the lights were coming on.. so even if thats happening it doesnt mean that the cards good.. also check to make sure you installed the card right.. do you have one 6 pin plug in the card or 2?

ejaymax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
In wot way is it not detecting? did u get a display b4 you installed the drivers? the reason i ask is coz i just got the HD5850 and i wasnt getting a display on boot so thought it was duff. then had the brainwave of connecting to my tv on the 2nd dvi and it worked on the tv, so i looked at the graphics settings and noticed the refresh rate was set to 20!!, changed this to 60 rebooted then it worked.
If ya installed drivers and then it hangs on the logon screen.............thats a different story that took me days to sort out!!!

sjbivo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies.

I have one 6 pin plug in the card right now. I'm getting a display on the monitor without the 5770 drivers installed (i guess the onboard chip is doing this?). On startup, no PCI-E information is displayed but it says my current GPU is VGA.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

ejaymax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

6 Pin??? u should be either using a 16pin (VGA) or DVI (24 Pin)

Wot Monitor are you using?

Have you tried going into the Bios and telling it to select PCI-e as first display?

sjbivo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks very much for your advice

I finally got the card to be detected by device manager. The driver installer kept crashing whilst it was scanning my computer so i manually selected the .inf file from the ATI folder and it installed ok. Yesterday the GPU seemed to be working fine (tested it using Fallout 3) but today i get the following problem a lot:

-computer will freeze up/run slow for a couple of seconds
-screen will go black for ~1 sec
-picture will return and computer functions normally

This happens whilst browsing internet/on desktop and not just during games.

The monitor I am using is a Samsung Syncmaster 2032BW.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

hmmm.. thats weird.. the only thing i can think of now is just make sure everythings updated.. my computer does that also when its telling me that gpu nos can only support onboard video.. do you have gpu nos? if so that might be it..

sjbivo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I just ran dxdiag again and checked the display tab where I got the message that the GPU drivers weren't installed. I then reinstalled the driver, rebooted and it appears to be working fine again but I have no idea why my drivers are uninstalling when I turn off my computer :S. So i'm not sure whether there is some sort of conflict between my bios/motherboard/gpu.

Seems really strange

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

disable your onboard video in the bios.. then the motherboard will be forced to use only your video card.. ive never experienced that myself but have heard of many people having to do this.. the worst thing that would happen is that your video card is still not detected and nothing will boot.. if so you'd have to reset the cmos and then enable your onboard video in the bios again.. but that should do the trick.. if your gpu is being detected then it should boot up fine once the onboard video is disabled.. it may be that your onboard video and your video card are fighting each other to see which one the computers going to use..

sjbivo

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I downloaded the Catalyst control centre (10.7) but everytime I try to install, the program crashes during analysis of my computer. I've tried using older versions but the same thing keeps happening. Right now all I have installed is the 5770 driver and ATI Problem Wizard (which crashes and reboots my computer if I try using it).

Really confusing :(

Thanks again

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Did you check if your PSU is of version 2.0 or older ? New cards are very picky about voltage regulation and require version 2.0 PSU. Just a thought.

Coming to:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-computer will freeze up/run slow for a couple of seconds
-screen will go black for ~1 sec
-picture will return and computer functions normally
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks to be a TDR issue. I had plenty of it in the past (Radeon HD5770). I increased 2D (idle) clocks till CCC 10.5.

CCC 10.5 = No TDR
CCC 10.6 = Occassional, seldom TDR
CCC 10.7 = No TDR till now (7 days)