Difference between AC adapter and battery charger?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 19, 2004 11:12:02 AM

What is the difference between an AC adapter and a battery charger for
my IBM Thinkpad? The reason why I ask is that I have an AC adapter
connected to my Thinkpad. This works except the battery is not
charging.
December 19, 2004 6:56:37 PM

Wes <Wes@home.com> wrote:
: What is the difference between an AC adapter and a battery charger for
: my IBM Thinkpad? The reason why I ask is that I have an AC adapter
: connected to my Thinkpad. This works except the battery is not
: charging.

The charger is built-in to the computer. You could get an off-board
battery charger to charge your main battery or a spare while you
work. Chargers usually don't charge very quickly while you are using
the laptop on AC power.

Your battery may be toast - how old is it?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

The charging circuit is in the laptop. The AC supply in MOST laptops
simply supplies some DC voltage to the laptop. The laptop uses this in
a variety of ways, one of which (but only one) is to charge the battery.
The AC supply is not a battery charger, but really a DC power supply.

Wes wrote:

> What is the difference between an AC adapter and a battery charger for
> my IBM Thinkpad? The reason why I ask is that I have an AC adapter
> connected to my Thinkpad. This works except the battery is not
> charging.
a c 248 D Laptop
March 13, 2013 6:18:27 PM

Richbattery1 said:
Difference among them is:

the AC Adapter that plugs in to the laptop charges the battery at the same time, whether you want it to or not. to save on battery life, use the AC Adaptor only when the battery power is down to 15% and then disconnect the AC Adapter when the battery is fully charged. THE AC ADAPTER IS THE EXACT SAME...don't waste your money, buy a new battery if your current one doesnt last over 45 minutes.
An AC Adapter, you can only charge it through the dc power jack. if its jack broken then again u havve to spend money to buy new one

Hi :)

Lol...this thread is 9 years old.... I suspect his laptop might be history by now :)

All the best Brett :)