New build and need opinion

whatever06

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Hi. I'm building this PC. Not planning on SLI/CF. Some OC up to 4.2-4.5ghz. Is the cooler I select is good enough? And GPU OC up to 950mhz. Also I'm thinking on getting a Blu-Ray burner but I'm not sure which brand to get and does Blu-Ray Sata3 exist yet? I already have DVD writer. Is the PSU too overkill? I'm also not sure the case I selected is enough to fit the cooler and the graphic card if not which alternative would you suggest.

Crucial C300 64GB SSD
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W
Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB 2GBX2 DDR3-1600
CoolerMaster Hyper N520
LANCOOL PC-K58

Thanks.

MarcinCimmerian

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

The HyperN is a good heatsink but I'm not sure it will perform with an overclock over 4 gigahertz. You can give it a try and settle eventually for a liquid cooling solution.
I don't see why that configuration wouldn't run.

Well interpolating
Yasya >CM Z600
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3274/scythe_yasya_scys_1000_cpu_cooler/index6.html
CM Z600 > CM N520
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2390&page=4

I would definitely rate the Scythe Yasya a better cooler than N520 hehe
Egg has em @ $55 but for some reason CPU coolers are overpriced on Egg so have a look at this $35 Yasya
http://www.directron.com/scys1000.html

Also since u mentioned no CF/SLI i'd also hit a 870/SB850 mobo (that Asus 880G is 16/4 anyway hehe) and consider a 60GB Sandforce based SSD rather than C300 unless u are looking at the 128GB or bigger versions

Finally do elaborate on use of rig: it could be cutting down to a 1055T/955BE and a better GPU could net you more gains The 1055T despite being a locked multi Thuban clocks very well too ^^

whatever06

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks for the opinion. I'm using 1055T on my office and I liked it but since I'll be using this new build for home I guess it has to be better than 1055T. The reason I choose 880/850 for graphic backup purpose if the graphic card dies first. This probably will be my last PC with graphic card though.

About the cooler I think the brand you mentioned didn't distribute to my country but the brand that usually heard here are CoolerMaster, Corsair, Xigmatik, Zalman, ThermalRight, and Prolima Tech. Maybe suggest one of those?

Can anyone suggest me a reliable surge protection too? When lighting strike sometimes it strike hard that will kill electronic on the house. Maybe should invest in Main Switch instead. But then phone line isn't from main switch. Any suggestion?

But the latest Tom's Marathon Sept'10 shows that AMD+Nvidia = bad idea?

If I go for Intel system then there's not even a single good Sata3 card. I don't care about USB3 because I don't transfer big file often.

Should I wait for next year for AMD Intel showdown or just build this one? And then new release always expensive until a year later.

Thanks.