Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I upgrade my cpu/MB/Ram without a clean install?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2011 3:49:05 AM

Is there a way to wipe most/all of my drivers (if needed), swap out my old MB/cpu/ram for the new one that will arrive in a couple days?

I know the best answer is s clean install, but I just did this ~1 month ago when I decided to go with a 96GB SSD boot drive and upgraded to windows 7. It takes weeks for me to get everything running the way I want. Thanks for you time!

I can provide specifics if that helps.
a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
July 25, 2011 12:48:23 PM

Most of the time you have to do a clean install, unless the new board uses the same chipset. I can do my clean install in about three hours with an ssd. Good luck.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a c 188 à CPUs
July 25, 2011 5:26:46 PM

Make that a close chipset. I recently changed from an H67 board to a Z68 without any problems. Most of the time when you try to install a different Motherboard it will load a difference set of drivers for the new board and keep the old ones and slow down the system unless you clean them up.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2011 6:33:43 PM

Probably have to reactivate Windows again anyway with a board change.
i would go ahead and wipe the drives. It always acts freaky when you try to install over top of the old. I suppose you could open up the device manager and sit there and uninstall everything dealing with the board before you swap it out. Uninstall each thing , shut the box down and swap.
m
l
August 1, 2011 3:16:20 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Make that a close chipset. I recently changed from an H67 board to a Z68 without any problems. Most of the time when you try to install a different Motherboard it will load a difference set of drivers for the new board and keep the old ones and slow down the system unless you clean them up.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

How do I "clean them up" (the drivers)? Seems to be running good, but could probably be better?
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2011 3:21:56 AM

You can easily migrate practically any Windows XP/Vista/7 to a radically different MOBO/CPU/RAM/Etc. OS - if your MOBO can support it you can move it.

Simple - go the MOBO's website, and download ALL of the drivers for your OS and installed them. The needed drivers load from Windows and the unneeded simply don't load. edit: Review the Device Manager to verify there's no {! or ?} and if there are simply get the driver and load it. Piece of cake.

Make sure the old/new AHCI or IDE settings per BIOS are the same, you can run Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Where it 'can' get tricky is if you have multiple HDD/SSD then 'Drive Letters' MUST match-up before & after. If they don't then you'll need to manually change the Driver Letter(s). The Primary/OS drive will be 'C:'

Yep, you'll have to reactive.

Good Luck! :) 
August 4, 2011 12:36:12 PM

Best answer selected by jricha51.
m
l
!