New Build, need help picking out a motherboard

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I love hardcore gaming,

For my new build I have decided on a

I7 930 and a GTX 460. I am still working on what motherboard is best.

My considerations are the amount of RAM I can put in and how many Graphics cards I can fit in (These are the most important features for gaming right?)

MarcinCimmerian

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Well, solely the graphics rely on the graphical component you install then it's the cpu and finally the speed of the ram to conrtibute overall data collection.
The Rampage series are exceptional, MSI Eclipse or EVGA Classified are in the same category but it's only a matter of personal preference. They will all fit a minimum of 3 video cards.
Everything is based on your budget. You want a high performing motherboard, you will have to dish out around 400 bucks or more.

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Ya I heard about that.

It seems like such a good buy according to the reviews though. Is there another Nvidia GPU that is similar in price/features that does more than single SLI?

Also, is there a motherboard that supports I7 that can have just 2 460's? I might just want to save some money on the motherboard.

/me scratches head

You state loving HC gaming and i slot in a GTX 460 in my $5xx-6xx gaming configs so if i were u i'd hit a HD 5870 in there at the very least @@ The most important features of a gaming rig is to get as good frames your $$ can squeeze in

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

zzzzzzz ^ ATI fanboi.

^^ I doubt he is...

The high-end Nvidia cards are not a good value proposition, so the obvious choice would be the HD 5870 or the 5850s as they offer nearly as good performance, and better value...
But the Nvidia GTX 470s are good options if you want to go high-end...

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

I heard Nvidia is better for gaming in the reviews I have read and benchmarks on youtube ect.

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

how many SLI slots does a 470 have?

^ I would rather spend that money on 2x GTX 460s for now and enjoy the performance and when I feel the the need for more graphics power, upgrade to newer cards then...and the newer cards seem to be very promising...
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/leaked-radeon-hd-6870-3dmark-test-shows-30-gain-on-5870-20100831/
And also in the Nvidia camp, they would launch the faster chips based on the GF104 then which will certainly offer as good or better performance consuming less power and will give out less heat...