Sign in with
Your question

CPU temperature question!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2010 4:13:25 AM

Hello,a few days ago, I finished building my first computer. The CPU, an Athlon X4, runs at about 55 degrees farenheit not under load, while the GPU, a Radeon HD 5770, runs at about 85 degrees farenheit not under load.

Is this temperature difference normal? Also, I think I remember hearing somewhere that components operate less efficiently when cold. Is 55f too cold for my cpu?

Thanks

More about : cpu temperature question

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2010 4:40:39 AM

Hi Rmitchell93, Welcome to THW.

Are you sure the CPU is in F because I believe your reading the temps that are in C, and yes those are normal temps for a stock CPU cooler and average PC case, that is if your system is under load, otherwise they are really to hot.

Now the GPU, if that is in C it is too hot IMHO, but in F thats is OK.

Double check your readings if they are in C or F and if your stressing the PC when temps are taken
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 3:17:30 PM

The temps are almost certainly C . 55 F is pretty low for ambient temps unless the computer is outdoors during winter time (northern hemisphere).

Your idle temps are a little too high. It's possible that your CPU heatsink is improperly installed but I kind of doubt it because your GPU temps are also high.

What kind of case do you have and how good is the airflow through it?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 4:40:57 PM

rmitchell93 said:
Hello,a few days ago, I finished building my first computer. The CPU, an Athlon X4, runs at about 55 degrees farenheit not under load, while the GPU, a Radeon HD 5770, runs at about 85 degrees farenheit not under load

Those temperatures are way too low to be plausible for *F. At *C they are also not likely because they sounds like normal load temperatures. Either way, post back with your load temperatures because:
1. The idle temperatures should never be stressing and too hot.
2. At temperatures below about 30-40*C, the temperature sensor is not accurate.

rmitchell93 said:
Also, I think I remember hearing somewhere that components operate less efficiently when cold.

This is not the case. This was an issue before AMD fixed it in their phenom II/ Athlon II. I am unsure which intel CPUs were affected. No modern processor has this issue. Besides, the issue only occurred at temperatures around -30*C anyway.
m
l
!