Nov 29, 2010
im buying A new build for gaming help plese to choose some parts:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R X58 SLI Motherboard & OCZ 12GB DDR3 1333 combo
i7 950
gtx 460 se 1 gb
ocz modxstreme psu 700watt
seagate 7200 rpm 1 tb
any chea dvd drive

I'd recommend going for an i5 760 instead and upping your video card to a gtx 470, radeon 6870 or above.

I agree with the ram. 4GB was the sweet spot not too long ago but if I were to build a new computer now, I would put 8GB in it or 6GB on a budget for gaming. You don't need 12GB unless you are planning on doing some kind of rendering or special programs for stuff like that that need the ram.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I would say something completely different tbh.

Get an i7 920 and get an all in 1 watercooling kit, overclock to 4ghz.
get 2 amd 6870's OR 2 470's overall the 6870's scale better due to crossfire but if you go for a single card the 470 beats it, iirc. Power supply is nice, stick with that its all you'll need, only thing i can suggest is getting asus mobo and GPU, the overclocking tool is nice and simple.

ram with with the i7 920 you can go for some nice tripple chanel, 6gb will be enough for your needs, mobo you can go for anything decent from the p6t series onwards, funds permiting.

this is similar to my build apart from i currently have a gtx 295 (which im selling to fund for a gtx580).

all in all a good build, may be worth while ditching one of your graphics cards and add in there a nice SSD, all depends but i would deffinatly think about a SSD.

One other thing is also your case, aim towards a nice one for air flow, im currently using an antec df85 which has one of the best air cooling on the market.

With great power comes great heat, COOL IT.

I agree with dadiggle. I also would stay away from crossfire/SLI. I'm sure there are less stuttering issues these days and more games support it but I still feel more comfortable with a single card.
I see no point in the i7 920 over the i5 760 for gaming. I'm pretty sure they have fairly equal overclocking abilities but I am not hands on familiar with them in that way.

chelecelis

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

well i choose i7 because i found it at the same price as i5 and the mobo and ram becaus i found it for just $309 the bundle, it would be the same as another mobo and 6 gb of ram, but do you think its good i choose it because of the good stuff it had.

chelecelis

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Oh sorry the Samsung Blu-Ray Drive SH-B083L would be a good optical choice and for the hd the 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX or Samsung Spinpoint F3
i will not buy a blu ray because i dont have any bluray stuff and in my country there arent too many blurays.
and i have the ps3 to do that.

You found an i7 950 for the same price as an i5 760? That is awesome.