Closed Solved

Need quick response! - 5850 vs gtx460

Ok i have the chance to get a 2 month old reference 5850 for $275 Canadian dollars, or a gtx 460 1gb for $230 on newegg which with shipping comes to around the same price as the 5850.

what would you guys recommend me to get,
consider longevity of the card as well,
i also have a 4850 which i have sold to my friend for $150 do you think i should just get my 4850 back (which i wont be able to sell for much later) or do you think I should pick up one of those other cards or even a different card altogether.

what has the best value, and dont worry about crossfire or w/e i dont have support for it
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need quick response 5850 gtx460
  1. If they are the same price then the HD5850 is certainly the better card.
  2. amirp said:
    i also have a 4850 which i have sold to my friend for $150 do you think i should just get my 4850 back

Considering a new HD4850 is much less than $150 maybe you should be on the lookout for smarter friends :p
  3. lol i also gave him a power supply

and if it matters my monitor is only 1680 by 1050 but i occasionaly use my 1080p tv to play some games,
    im not a heavy gamer just looking for value, and longevity
    you guys think a used 5770 at $160 would provide with better value than this? (or a new one for 200)
  4. Best answer
    For 1680x1050 the HD5770 will be pretty good. At 1080p the HD5850 will certainly help a lot on the more intensive current and future games, especially if you want to use AA. Considering you say you wont have the option of crossfire in the future I would say get the HD5850 if you can afford it. The reference HD5850 also allows you to raise the voltage of the core for a huge overclock(usually 40%+).
  5. wow I did not know this,
    ok thanks, i will probably buy that card then and when i have more money spend it on an aftermarket cooler to further that oc
  6. Best answer selected by amirp.
  7. The reference cooler is pretty decent and can usually handle a high OC because the card is so power efficient/low heat. So you likely won't need to replace it.
  8. Don't buy a 5770... I got one, and I run a 1024x768, and get ~24 fps in Crysis with no AA... get at least a 5850 for your res. btw, I'm getting a 5970 :)
  9. LOL my final decision is a lame one.... im going to play my dusty (modded) 360 for a while until ati 6XXX series are release then by a good card then.
    i also have a shitty 8600 gt i can use for now for playing my beloved blizzard games so its all good
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics