urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

I just finished setting up my system with a new motherboard and had to transfer my CPU over. After a successful boot, I decided to try some of the sensor temp reader applications to make sure everything was alright (Open Hardware monitor and Speedfan) and they are all pretty consistent at saying my CPU runs at around 69C.

It goes like this: about 33 degrees Celsius on start-up, then it raises to 55C after about 5 minutes of being in Windows without any application running. After 10 mins, it reads about 60C and then ramps up at about 69C when I start running many applications at the same time.

My CPU is Intel core2 dual E8500 which apparently has a "shutdown" temp around 72C so I'm very close to it

I'm wondering, is my heatsink fan spinning too slowly? It seems to spin between 2109 to 2300 RPM. The cooler is an OEM Cooler Master, something like this: http://ecd.coolermaster.com/english/products/products.php?_desktop_ci5_9hdsf_pl_gp

I'm using Antec thermal grease (silicone base) and I'm almost sure I put the right quantity (after checking quite some guides and videos about it)

Do you think the heatsink+fan is low quality and should be changed to something better? Or is the Antec grease known to be any bad?

I'm thinking to change the whole heatsink altogether but would like opinions before.

Also, it's winter here and the room is quite cold so I wouldn't consider it a factor.

Thanks in advance

That's a bit warm for an E8500 that's not running flat out. The issue could be the heat sink isn't properly attached to the mobo, or a paste issue. Or the case itself could be too hot . . . the cooler's ability to cool is restricted by the temperature of the air fed to it.

We use CPUID's Hardware Monitor to monitor temps because it works, and we pretty much know how it works. Try that.

Did you stress test your build? Using Prime95 and Furmark to stress cpu cores and gpu? That way you know the temps that will be reached at max load, and don't have to worry that your rig could get hotter.

Download the utilities from links here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

Try removing the Heatsink and cleaning it's base of all the thermal grease and the CPU top too.
Blow air into the HSFs fins to clear out dust and other stuff. Make sure you're getting ample airflow thru the case..... and reseat it properly and firmly onto the Proc.
If it still doesn't work properly, I'd suggest trying Arctic Silver TP and then to the same exercise again.
The fans speed is right, it's on the higher side to avoid a processor burnout but it's fine.
Something wrong elsewhere....

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks guys for the replies.

I will look into it when I get home tonight. Since according to alyoshka my fan speed is right (or at least not too slow) it's most probably that the heasink is not seated properly. I find it surprising however since this is a very simple "screw in" model and I made sure all 4 screws were very tight.

I don't think there is an excess of grease either because I've used the amount of a small pea. I might want to spread it over instead of just dropping it in the middle and letting it spread from the contact with the heatsink...

I cleaned my HSF properly before reinstalling it last time so that should not be a problem. It might be that there isn't a good air circulation in my case though. With my new Corsair PSU and all its cables, it feels very clogged at the moment.

Thank you dipankar2007ind for the tip, I think that's the first thing I'm going to try tonight.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I tried reseating the heatsink and reapplying some thermal grease but the temperature are still high. I believe the heatsink to be really well seated; the 4 screws are super tight at the moment.

I tested running the PC with the side of the case open and it gave me temperature of maximum 56 celsius with a few applications running at the same time.

With the case closed, the temperature are more around 62 celsius. A bit lower than yesterday but probably still too high :-/

I also tried pressing on the heatsink with my fingers but there was not temperature changes.

So I'm thinking to look for a new heatsink and fan, unless someone has another suggestion of things to try?

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
What is your max load temp now?

Just tried Prime95's stress test like suggested by Twoboxer and the temp got very quickly up to 72 degrees. Now, seeing that the max temp for the E8500 seems to be 72,4 degrees I stopped the test after a few minutes.

Can I damage my CPU by pushing it over 72 degrees?

You won't hurt the processor with brief excursions above 80C or even 90C.

But you want the cpu to run under 70C, because 72C is the "max" operating temp.

So, open the case, lay it on its side (heat rises), and run Prime95 again. See if the temp levels out under 80C.

If HWM shows the temp levels out with the side open, the cpu cooler is doing enough. If it can't level out the temp with the side on, the case does not have enough air flow. (If it had enough air flow, the temp would not continuously rise).

If you can't get the temps to level out, you can still run of course. After all, you are not running Prime95 all the time. You just need to load a program like RealTemp or CoreTemp during boot, and watch temps.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks guys for the info about CPU stressing.

I'll try and run Prime95 with the case laying on its side to try and determine if the problem is the HSF or just a global bad air circulation when I get home tonight.

Is there any way to improve the air circulation / keep the ambient air a bit cooler in the case? Not sure if that's the problem really because my graphic card doesn't seem to overheat at all, always sitting somewhere between 35 and 40 degrees.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Ok, I just tested what you suggested Twoboxer and ran Prime95 (the max heat stress test) with the side of the case open so that the heat could escape. Temp were pretty stable at around 59-62C, with a peak at 64,5C, and the test has been running for about 30 minutes. I'm not exactly sure how long I should run the test actually...

With the case closed and in normal position, it averaged around 70-72C with a peak at 73C.

That's about 10 degrees more with the case closed but both are showing somewhat stable temps after about 30 minutes...

What do you think? Maybe I should think about getting a case fan to blow the hot air out of it...

Eventually maybe changing the heatsink for something of higher quality could help...

Yup, you do need better air flow. A fan pulling air out of the top if there is a vent there would be most effective.....
But just in case there is no vent on top, you can either have air being pulled into the case from the base , the side or the front .....

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I only have vent holes on one side and on the back with this case. Any suggestions on fan types or models I could look for? I started looking into 120mm fans like the Antec tricool...

With the case closed, you are a few degrees warmer than you want to be when running Prime95.

Downdraft coolers are notoriously weak performers. You might be able to get your system down that few degrees by installing a more effective cooler. Assuming the new cooler blows air toward a case exhaust exhaust fan (instead of down at the motherboard), it may also improve hot air exhaust from your case.

So I'd start there. This one is low cost and decent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064&cm_re=cooler_master_hyper-_-35-103-064-_-Product

Also, I'm not sure but if you are using your old case, sometimes a cleaning and a bit of attention to cable managemnt can give you the extra air flow that might put you over the top.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately we don't have this model available in Finland but I found something very similar in the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus...so I think I'll go for that and possibly an additional fan to blow hot air out of the case from the back.

Thanks again for those who helped. I will come back with the result when I install it :)

That's a very good variant of the cooler I grabbed quickly. BTW, you are running cool enough that you should *not* worry about using your PC in the interim.

Remember, if you have a spare fan - or can "borrow" one for a bit from someone's PC - you can temporarily duct tape or twist tie it inside your case in various positions and see if another fan might actually help.

And please do let us know how you make out.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
So I decided to go and buy that Cooler master Hyper 212 plus I was talking about and also grabbed a 92mm Nexus case fan at the same time.

Result is quite convincing...My temps while browsing the web are around 40-42C. At max load I got 51C maximum. This is with QFan enabled with Standard profile. I was running the PC earlier without QFan on (fans at max speed) and the temps were even lower, but the noise was unbearable. So I got my fans a bit slower now with temps a bit higher but still very acceptable. I've got about 20C less than before!

At first I though I wouldn't be able to control the speed of the Nexus fan since I don't have any 4 pins chassis fan connector on my motherboard, but it looks like Qfan manages to regulate it anyway; now running at 1.5k RPM, down from 2.5k RPM at full speed which was a tad too loud too.

The only problem now is that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 is so massive (or high actually) it doesn't even fit in my case properly! I have to bend the side panel when screwing it in. So bigger and better case I need...