Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to buy an SSD

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2012 3:05:36 PM

Hi guys, I'm looking into buying an SSD. I am not sure which one I should get. I am thinking just to use it as a boot drive. Is 64GB large enough or should I consider a 120GB one? Also if my pc is on lets say 12 hours a day, how long can I expect a SSD to last? I'm from Canada so I'll be ordering/going to the store from newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, canadacomputers or ebay.ca. I'm looking to spend about $1/GB or less.. I'm open to suggestions! :) 

My current rig is:

i5 2500k
Corsair H60
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (dead i think lasted 6ish months...)
Asus GTX 460
CM Storm Scout
SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 Plus Gold
Windows 7

More about : buy ssd

December 15, 2012 3:45:39 PM

Life span of a SSD depends on the number of writes to the drive and the amount of free drive space. Each cell can be written to 1k-3k times before it can not be written to again. I find I am not hitting too many problems on newer SSD drive, some have more firmware updates, and some have more risk when updating firmware.
-I have set up a bunch of systems with small drives (60GB) but generally with external storage (network or cloud) I try to avoid HDD just because of the failure rates.
- I would go with a 120 GB drive, you will get a much longer life and will not have to worry about the excessive writes to the drive. EXCEPTION: I have seen some drives pause for 60 seconds while blocks were being retired because of a database doing excessive writes to a SSD.
I generally expect a SSD that I setup to last 5 years.

currently, I a looking at intel drives just because of the their better testing and fewer problems
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 5:08:37 PM

if you can afford it get a 128GB drive. 64GB is pushing it. windows 7 x64 on its own takes ~20GB and you always want to leave a little free space on ssd's. you don't have to worry about using all the P/E cycles. by the time you use all the writes it will most likely be obsolete and you will need to upgrade anyway. on a 128GB MLC drive writing 10GB a day with a write amplification of 3x it would last 35 years. here are 2 drives i would consider for the price.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB - $89.99 + $9.99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
this version of the mushkin has Synchronous MLC NAND but it uses a sandforce controller. its wont be as good with incompressible data. encryption, compression and video/image files.

Crucial M4 256GB - 102.99 + 9.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
this also uses Synchronous MLC NAND but the marvell controller doesn't treat incompressible data any differently. in the end probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

SanDisk Extreme 120GB - $89.99 after $20 MIR.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1...
this is another sandforce ssd but it has toggle nand witch is a step up.
Related resources
December 15, 2012 5:49:42 PM

alright thx, so far ill go with the second one you linked. why is that 60-64GB SSD's are often like $80+ (more than $1/GB) and larger SSD's like 200GB are less than $1/GB. I'm still open to any other suggestions !
m
l
a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 9:08:17 PM

yea the M4 would be my suggestion. not sure about the prices of 64GB vs 128GB. but you can usually get a 256GB on sale for $150. most of the other 128GB drives on those sites are usually $120+. the reason i suggested these 3 because they are all supposed to be good drives and have good prices.

on a side note that Spinpoint should still be under manufactures warranty. i would try to do a RMA with samsung or it might be seagate now since they bought samsung hdd's.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_vali...
m
l
December 15, 2012 9:22:26 PM

I would strongly suggest 120GB minimum - especially with current prices.
m
l
December 26, 2012 1:37:06 AM

picked up the crucial m4 128gb :)  thx guys
m
l
January 2, 2013 12:48:15 PM

Best answer selected by MMMMMMMMMM.
m
l
!