Solved

Looking to buy an SSD

Hi guys, I'm looking into buying an SSD. I am not sure which one I should get. I am thinking just to use it as a boot drive. Is 64GB large enough or should I consider a 120GB one? Also if my pc is on lets say 12 hours a day, how long can I expect a SSD to last? I'm from Canada so I'll be ordering/going to the store from newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, canadacomputers or ebay.ca. I'm looking to spend about $1/GB or less.. I'm open to suggestions! :)

My current rig is:

i5 2500k
Corsair H60
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (dead i think lasted 6ish months...)
Asus GTX 460
CM Storm Scout
SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 Plus Gold
Windows 7
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking
  1. Life span of a SSD depends on the number of writes to the drive and the amount of free drive space. Each cell can be written to 1k-3k times before it can not be written to again. I find I am not hitting too many problems on newer SSD drive, some have more firmware updates, and some have more risk when updating firmware.
    -I have set up a bunch of systems with small drives (60GB) but generally with external storage (network or cloud) I try to avoid HDD just because of the failure rates.
    - I would go with a 120 GB drive, you will get a much longer life and will not have to worry about the excessive writes to the drive. EXCEPTION: I have seen some drives pause for 60 seconds while blocks were being retired because of a database doing excessive writes to a SSD.
    I generally expect a SSD that I setup to last 5 years.

currently, I a looking at intel drives just because of the their better testing and fewer problems
  2. Best answer
    if you can afford it get a 128GB drive. 64GB is pushing it. windows 7 x64 on its own takes ~20GB and you always want to leave a little free space on ssd's. you don't have to worry about using all the P/E cycles. by the time you use all the writes it will most likely be obsolete and you will need to upgrade anyway. on a 128GB MLC drive writing 10GB a day with a write amplification of 3x it would last 35 years. here are 2 drives i would consider for the price.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX 120GB - $89.99 + $9.99
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318
    this version of the mushkin has Synchronous MLC NAND but it uses a sandforce controller. its wont be as good with incompressible data. encryption, compression and video/image files.

Crucial M4 256GB - 102.99 + 9.99 shipping
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
    this also uses Synchronous MLC NAND but the marvell controller doesn't treat incompressible data any differently. in the end probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

SanDisk Extreme 120GB - $89.99 after $20 MIR.
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=047585
    this is another sandforce ssd but it has toggle nand witch is a step up.
  3. alright thx, so far ill go with the second one you linked. why is that 60-64GB SSD's are often like $80+ (more than $1/GB) and larger SSD's like 200GB are less than $1/GB. I'm still open to any other suggestions !
  4. yea the M4 would be my suggestion. not sure about the prices of 64GB vs 128GB. but you can usually get a 256GB on sale for $150. most of the other 128GB drives on those sites are usually $120+. the reason i suggested these 3 because they are all supposed to be good drives and have good prices.

on a side note that Spinpoint should still be under manufactures warranty. i would try to do a RMA with samsung or it might be seagate now since they bought samsung hdd's.

http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp?form=1
  5. I would strongly suggest 120GB minimum - especially with current prices.
  6. picked up the crucial m4 128gb :) thx guys
  7. Best answer selected by MMMMMMMMMM.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage