Sign in with
Your question

Power supply died, hard drive now BSODs when loading Windows

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2012 3:27:10 PM

Hello!
After my power supply died (Check this thread), my hard drive POSTs fine, then starts loading windows. On the loading screen, the one where four dots move and become the windows logo, I get a BSOD. I ran startup repair, accomplishing nothing, no changes. The hard drive was then plugged into another computer to run CHKDSK. The hard drive was not detected, despite spinning up. Cables were checked, nothing is wrong there.

Any suggestions, or should I declare the drive dead?

Thanks for reading!
a c 79 G Storage
December 15, 2012 9:34:42 PM

"The hard drive was then plugged into another computer to run CHKDSK."

Make sure that it it's not just needing a drive letter assigning to it. Windows sometimes fails to assign one when the drive is attached externally. This results in the drive not showing in Windows Explorer, but it does show in Disk Management where the problem can be fixed.

Plug the drive back in, then go to:

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Look in the bottom-right panel and if you see the drive (it may saw "Raw" & have no drive letter), right-click it and choose "Change Drive Letter & Paths". Click "Add", choose a letter, click 'OK'.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 132 G Storage
December 15, 2012 9:44:42 PM

also if it still boots in the old pc..use f8 safe mode go in and in msconfig turn off everything in start up. most bsod when loading windows can be a damaged anti virus program or video driver. if you can boot into safe mode..you have to find the damaged program or driver and uninstall it and then reinstall it.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 11:15:50 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Interesting development- when I plugged the drive in via USB to check it, I could see all the partitions and files, suggesting that the drive is still working, but something went bad.

smorizio
-I just tried booting into safe mode, and I got the same blue screen.

phil22
-I'll try your suggestion once the disk scan is done. It seems that it should work, though, given that all the files seem to be intact. The drive would be detected in the BIOS, right?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2012 11:39:02 AM

When your power supply becomes defective it will send bad electrical shocks to your hard drive, which might impair it and get it out of action. That happened to me in the past. And actually here where an SSD can help more than HDD in regard of resisting the electrical shocks, but that's not our topic here anyway.

Since your HDD is detected thru USB connection, then I suggest you try to low-level-format it, in most cases that should resolve your problem.

If you take my suggestion, do tell us about any updates
m
l
December 16, 2012 11:50:58 AM

Branson:
I do know about the dangers of a power supply dying. I do know that I could format the drive, but that's always a last resort. I was wondering if people here knew of any things I could try before I do that, since the drive appears to be working fine just with something gone wrong in the OS.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 132 G Storage
December 16, 2012 5:31:21 PM

try using hirem boot cd and try run some disk tools to fix the damaged file.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2012 6:07:08 PM

go to the hdd manufactures website and download their diagnostic tool to check its health. did you run chkdsk with the /r switch?
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:40:05 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

jon, I went to the Seagate website and ran their diagnostics on the drive. They showed nothing wrong.

I'm starting to think it's possible that something in the OS has been corrupted. I've tried system repair and chkdsk without any progress, are there any other utilities I could try? I don't have any CDs or DVDs right now, so I can't try smorizio's suggestion.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 17, 2012 1:46:52 AM

can you boot into windows if you use it as a usb drive? can you get into safe mode? have you tried Startup repair?

m
l
!