Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive choice

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2012 6:14:46 PM

Hi. I need a new hard drive. My old one is a Seagate Barracuda 160gb SATA2 7200RPM drive and is starting to perform really slow and i need more space. Is a Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA3 a good choice? I mean is it reliable and good quality and stuff like that?

More about : hard drive choice

a b G Storage
December 15, 2012 6:56:20 PM

Pretty good but I prefer Western Digital.
m
l
December 15, 2012 7:08:29 PM

zdbc13 said:
Pretty good but I prefer Western Digital.

Which one? caviar blue, or green or whichever
m
l
Related resources
a c 79 G Storage
December 15, 2012 10:07:33 PM

Any WD drive beats a Seagate one on reliability so choose according to your needs, but in my opinion the multi-terabyte ones (any brand) are just not there yet as regards durability compared to those between 500GB - 1TB
m
l
December 15, 2012 10:19:30 PM

phil22 said:
Any WD drive beats a Seagate one on reliability so choose according to your needs, but in my opinion the multi-terabyte ones (any brand) are just not there yet as regards durability compared to those between 500GB - 1TB

I don't need more than 500gb. So should i get a caviar blue? i've heard of the caviar green drives are more likely to fail in a few weeks but that's a rumor, i don't know the real truth. I need a fast, good quality, reliable and cheapest as possible drive, SATA3 only because i use it for recording gameplay and don't want to buy an SSD because a 120GB SSD costs twice as much as a 500gb HDD
m
l

Best solution

December 15, 2012 11:42:11 PM

If you need fast, good quality and reliable I recommend the Black Drives WD offers although not the cheapest in my opinion they are worth the extra coin, 5 year warranty v the Blue drives 2 year warranty.

WD Black 500GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 16, 2012 9:26:53 AM

Orlean said:
If you need fast, good quality and reliable I recommend the Black Drives WD offers although not the cheapest in my opinion they are worth the extra coin, 5 year warranty v the Blue drives 2 year warranty.

WD Black 500GB

Thanks for your help. I managed to find it for 78$ in one of the stores here in my country. I'm expecting it to be a major improvement from my 6 year old Seagate drive
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:39:21 AM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:41:14 AM

Orlean said:

WD Black 500GB

Can i also ask you should i upgrade in the future to a Radeon 7870 or a GTX 660? I see that you have the 7870 so maybe you can tell me how it performs?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 16, 2012 9:44:48 AM

Look for anything that says enterprise / business use, for obvious reasons. With such a small size you could also set up a backup raid solution / off-system backup protocol.
m
l
December 16, 2012 11:00:43 AM

mesab66 said:
Look for anything that says enterprise / business use, for obvious reasons. With such a small size you could also set up a backup raid solution / off-system backup protocol.

what is RAID and what does it do? Sorry but storage drives are one thing that know very little about.
m
l
December 16, 2012 4:50:34 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Thanks for your help. I managed to find it for 78$ in one of the stores here in my country. I'm expecting it to be a major improvement from my 6 year old Seagate drive

Since you live in another country you may want to double check about the warranty period some company don't have the same warranties internationally.

Lazar_99 said:
Can i also ask you should i upgrade in the future to a Radeon 7870 or a GTX 660? I see that you have the 7870 so maybe you can tell me how it performs?

I'm happy with my 7870 and it performed well for the games I play and resolution I run, as far as the GTX 660 I don't have any personal experience with it. Both cards are good, It depends on what games you play but between them the 7870 is the better card unless you are interested in what features the 660 has such as TXAA, FXAA, Physx, but the price of the cards have to be taken into account with were you live too. But according to your quote you don't like AMD :p  Joking aside both cards will give you a very nice boost in performance over your 6850, if of course your CPU won't be the limiting factor.
m
l
December 16, 2012 5:12:12 PM

Orlean said:
Since you live in another country you may want to double check about the warranty period some company don't have the same warranties internationally.

I'm happy with my 7870 and it performed well for the games I play and resolution I run, as far as the GTX 660 I don't have any personal experience with it. Both cards are good, It depends on what games you play but between them the 7870 is the better card unless you are interested in what features the 660 has such as TXAA, FXAA, Physx, but the price of the cards have to be taken into account with were you live too. But according to your quote you don't like AMD :p  Joking aside both cards will give you a very nice boost in performance over your 6850, if of course your CPU won't be the limiting factor.

I just checked. It says 60 months and that's 5 years warranty. Though with a drive like that there are surely not going to be any failures. All i've heard is that WD green drives fail. And about the whole AMD thing , my 6850 was a disappointment from the very beginning but was a big improvement from my 9800gt but still didn't perform as well as i thought. And i've had driver problems, graphics bugs like weird graphics in some games but as new drivers were released that stuff was gone and later i started complaining that it runs very hot. Though i made myself a promise that i wouldn't buy an AMD graphics card and should stick to using an Nvidia GPU with an AMD CPU because i don't need the AMD vision which causes me even more problems with performance. Though money will most likely make the decision for me.
m
l
!