Your question

2 GB = OK 4 GB = BSOD? New GPU GT 240

Tags:
  • Memory
  • GPUs
Last response: in Memory
July 25, 2011 4:07:32 PM

Hi all,

I recently installed a new graphics card (GeForce GT 240) which replaced my intergrated one.

Before i installed the new GPU my system was as follows:

Packard Bell Model: IMEDIA X2416
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit (upgraded from 32-bit vista)
Motherboard Denver 11
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
4GB DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHZ (standard samsung memory)
Nvidia Geforce 7100 / Nvidia nForce 630i Intergrated RAMDAC
PSU 250w

I hardly had any problems when the PC was this setup apart from recently it started to freeze when i used certain programs but i sorted that out by asking people on here see topic below:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/321423-33-freezing-pr...

Turned out that the PC just needed a good clean (dust free).

As my new graphics card needed a minimum of 300w i also upgraded the PSU to a CWT 405w.

So i 1st installed the new CWT PSU, i turned on the PC (before installing the GPU GT 240) and everything was working fine.

Next i installed the new GPU (GT 240) and this is where my problems started.

Basically if i boot up with 4gb ram i always get a BSOD and the PC restarts itself, and then i may get the same BSOD again or i just get a black screen in which i have to turn the power off to get rid of.

If i boot up with 2gb ram i have no problems at all and the PC works great?

I have tried both 2gb sticks seperatly and they both work. My motherboard has 2 DDR2 slots and aslong as i only have 2gb ram installed it doesnt matter which slot i use (i have tested them both) I have run memtest on both sticks and both came back with no errors.

I have searched the net for an answer and the only one i can find doesnt work for me as i cannot even get into safe mode when i have 4gb installed, the following link is what i found:

http://www.pallab.net/2009/11/15/how-fix-windows-7-bsod...

As the 4GB DDR2 PC2 6400 800MHZ was oem samsung memory, i have also brought (& awaiting delivery of) OCZ2G8004GK gold series. Do you think i will have the same problem when i install this memory? I think i will so i would like to get this problem fixed before they arrive. A few other websites say try and reinstall windows, but i would like to save that as last resort.

Any comments apreciated

Thanks

Andy

More about : bsod gpu 240

July 25, 2011 6:15:12 PM

Just a stab in the dark here but the recommended minimum power requirement for the gt 240 is 300w. Maybe the 4 gigs are surpassing your psu's capabilities because of the addition of the gt 240?
July 25, 2011 7:09:36 PM

This can be a handy tool to see what kind of power you need. It's not the end all be all of power calculators but it gives you an idea of what you need. Also when in doubt go higher :D 

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Also, just curious the GT240 is a PCI-e 2.0 I believe is that what your PCI-e slot is ?

Related resources
July 25, 2011 7:40:37 PM

@ScottyF
I have posted this question on a couple of other sites and there are quite a few saying that it could be the PSU so i think you may be right.

I only brought the PSU from a local PC shop on friday so i'll take it back and get a 600w one.

@rogbur22
I will try the tool and see what the outcome is, but like i said above i do believe that the PSU may be the problem and i'll change it for a 600w one.

Yes the PCI-e slot is 2.0 i forget where i have seen this on the PC (may have been when it is booting up or on the control panel somewhere) If you know where to find this out i will have a look and let you know, but I have played Virtua Tennis 4 for about 2 hours with no problem with 2gb ram so i dont think there is any problem with the GPU.
a b } Memory
July 25, 2011 9:07:00 PM

I've never heard of a CWT brand PSU... if you can, get a quality brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Cool Master, etc. When it comes to PSUs, you really do get what you pay for. I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing the issue.
Related resources
!