Lock Out Question

July 12, 2005 7:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

We recently had our Win 2000 Domain controller crash, and were required to
reinstall from scratch.

One member of the old domain was a WinXP Pro box. Since we reinstalled the
Win 2000 domain controller (and thereby created a new domain with the same
name as the old domain), we have not been able to logon to the WinXP box.
If we try to logon using new domain credentials, it tells us it can't find
the domain (which makes sense since the old domain no longer exists).
Unfortunately, we cannot logon to the local machine, because nobody here
remembers the admin password.

Is there a way to get around this problem without having to completely
reinstall XP on this box? We would like to preserve whatever settings
existed for the user on this box.

Thanks for any pointers!

Dan Johnson

More about : lock question

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:36:25 PM

Dan Johnson wrote:
> We recently had our Win 2000 Domain controller crash, and were
> required to reinstall from scratch.
>
> One member of the old domain was a WinXP Pro box. Since we
> reinstalled the Win 2000 domain controller (and thereby created a new
> domain with the same name as the old domain), we have not been able
> to logon to the WinXP box. If we try to logon using new domain
> credentials, it tells us it can't find the domain (which makes sense
> since the old domain no longer exists). Unfortunately, we cannot
> logon to the local machine, because nobody here remembers the admin
> password.
>
> Is there a way to get around this problem without having to completely
> reinstall XP on this box? We would like to preserve whatever settings
> existed for the user on this box.
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

Many password hacks out there.. Here are a couple. Something like the
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows with the right extras would be great to have
around to.. Not to mention something like ERD commander.

Look here:

and/or try these..
Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

In article <yMCdnReeyOH9rEnfRVn-gw@comcast.com>, johnson@milehi.com
says...
> We recently had our Win 2000 Domain controller crash, and were required to
> reinstall from scratch.
>
> One member of the old domain was a WinXP Pro box. Since we reinstalled the
> Win 2000 domain controller (and thereby created a new domain with the same
> name as the old domain), we have not been able to logon to the WinXP box.
> If we try to logon using new domain credentials, it tells us it can't find
> the domain (which makes sense since the old domain no longer exists).
> Unfortunately, we cannot logon to the local machine, because nobody here
> remembers the admin password.
>
> Is there a way to get around this problem without having to completely
> reinstall XP on this box? We would like to preserve whatever settings
> existed for the user on this box.

Yea, disconnect the network cable and login using the old domain
administrator user account and the old password - since you've not
logged on with the new domain, it will have cached the old user/password
- just make sure that the network cable is disconnected.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
!