Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading processor on Dell Studio XPS computer

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2010 1:29:53 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell Studio XPS 8000-1622 with an Intel Core i5 850processor that I purchased last year. I would like to upgrade the processor to a Corei7 870 on this computer. Can this be done? My current system has 8 gigs of ram, 1TB hard drive, I upgraded the graphics card to an ATI HD4650 graphics card. I'm not a gamer, but I like to do video editing. I also added a Blu-Ray burner.

Can this be done or do I need to replace the motherboard. I will be adding a larger watt power supply.

Thanks for you help.
a c 131 à CPUs
November 29, 2010 1:41:44 PM

Yes it can be done. The only advantage would be hyperthreading other than the clockspeed increase. The performance gains would not be significant. Are you sure you can use hyperthreading to your advantage?
Also, there is no such thing as the i5 850. Perhaps you are talking about the i7 860? In which case you will notice virtually no difference with a simple .133MHz clockspeed increase.
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:13:38 PM

Beware that most Dell XPS mobos have BIOSes that are sealed up tight. You won't be able to change any settings should the new CPU require it.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2010 2:48:06 PM

Quote:
^
not exactly true... I'll get to that later.

If you have any inside info on how to get into the BIOS on my XPS please let me know, as one of the main reasons I'm giving it away to my gf in Jan is that I'm sick and tired of being able to do nothing at startup! :fou: 
m
l
November 29, 2010 2:54:25 PM

I'm running an "unconventional" HSF arrangement (bigger fan on my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro) which I've hooked up directly to PSU power, and I have to hit F2, enter a key 3 times, then hit F2 again since the CPU fan socket is not connected. Royal pain in the a$$. :( 
m
l
November 29, 2010 3:24:07 PM

At bootup I get

CPU FAN MISSING

Then I have to

Hit F2

Then key in the password which it doesn't recognize anyway, so I just hit any key 3 times

Then I have to hit F2 again

Then it continues booting up.

Major hemorrhoid. :( 
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:53:27 PM

enzo matrix said:
Yes it can be done. The only advantage would be hyperthreading other than the clockspeed increase. The performance gains would not be significant. Are you sure you can use hyperthreading to your advantage?
Also, there is no such thing as the i5 850. Perhaps you are talking about the i7 860? In which case you will notice virtually no difference with a simple .133MHz clockspeed increase.

Ooops, I meant to say that I have a Corei5 750 and I would like to upgrade it to a Corei7 870. I would like to be able to do as much multitasking as possible. I wanted a computer with a Corei7 last year but they were way too expensive so I bought one with a Corei5. Now I want to upgrade it if at all possible. So you're saying that I wouldn't notice any increase in speed, just in hyperthreading? I'll take all the help I can get as far as being able to do multiple tasks at once. Thanks :) 
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:56:51 PM

Quote:
yes, do you mean core i5-750 or i5-650.?
please verify.

I have a Corei5-750, trying to upgrade to a Corei7-870. Is it worth the approx. $300 it will cost for the upgrade? I'm not doing it myself, I'm going to have MicroCenter do it.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
November 30, 2010 12:26:33 AM

Ladyblue627 said:
I have a Corei5-750, trying to upgrade to a Corei7-870. Is it worth the approx. $300 it will cost for the upgrade? I'm not doing it myself, I'm going to have MicroCenter do it.

Definitely not. The core i5 750 is a 2.66GHz quad turbo to 3.2. The i7 870 is a 2.93GHz quad turbo to 3.6 with hyperthreading.

Yes there will be a performance increase. In my opinion, it will not be noticeable in anything you have mentioned that you do. Unless your video editing is such a time critical application that every second counts.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=107
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2010 12:46:26 AM

Agreed - your computer can already do many tasks at once without any trouble. I honestly don't think it's worth the money to upgrade.
m
l
November 30, 2010 10:25:41 AM

malmental: The CPU fan connector has nothing connected to it. The HSF fan is running off the PSU directly. I should be able to get into the BIOS and turn off the CPU fan detection function but I can't get in there.

Ladyblue627: Swapping out a CPU can take a couple of minutes. Please don't pay $100 to some geek at MicroCenter to do it. It's a crime against starving children! Read an online guide, do it yourself, and donate the money to a good cause! :) 
m
l
December 1, 2010 1:47:47 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for your advice and the information. I decided I'm not going to upgrade the processor since it won't be a significant increase in speed. The processor is $229 and MicroCenter was going to charge me $60 to install it. I normally do my own upgrades (RAM, optical drives, I/O cards) but I' ve never tried a CPU or a power supply so I was going to have MicroCenter do it. I don't know how to overclock it either, I'm afraid I might fry my motherboard. :cry: 

Thanks again and have a great holiday :) 
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:05:08 AM

Ok, one more question. How about the Core i7 -950, would that give me more speed and hyperthreading and would I be able to have that one installed on my computer that has a Corei5-750 or would that require a different motherboard?

What's SSD?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 3:38:27 AM

Ladyblue627 said:
Ok, one more question. How about the Core i7 -950, would that give me more speed and hyperthreading and would I be able to have that one installed on my computer that has a Corei5-750 or would that require a different motherboard?

What's SSD?

The 950 would need a different motherboard.

Honestly, the i5-750 is an excellent processor, and should serve you well for a long time.
m
l
December 5, 2010 2:20:43 AM

Hey thanks again guys. I'm going to stay with my Core i5 then.
m
l
!