Will a stock fan from duel work for quad core? am2-am3

G

Hello,
hi..i just bough a motherboard/cpu setup and its am3 socket and cpu is a quad core not a duel core..was wondering if my stock fan will work from my am2 socket to my new one..and be cool enough...my case it really efficient i just want to use a stock fan until i can get a new one..my old setup is amd athlon 4200 duel core and new cpu is amd athlon 2 quad core.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Technically, you can use an OEM AMD Heatsink/Fan (HSF) from an AM2 CPU with your AM3 CPU. It will fit, but that isn't the issue.

It really depends on which AM2 HSF you have. Is yours a basic all-aluminum HSF with a fan on top or does your HSF have copper heatpipes? AMD provided both types of HSFs with CPUs depending on the heat profile of the processor sold with it.

What quad core AMD do you have? If one of the lower TDP versions (95W or less), you can probably use the stock HSF you have as long as you don't overclock at all (the copper heatpipe version is much preferred by the way). If your new CPU is of the 125W, or higher, type then get a new HSF as well.