Solved

Should I buy this i5 750??

Hi All,

I am thinking about picking up this i5 750 with a cyber monday deal (price is in Canadian).

I was originally thinking of an i7 950 build, but with Sandy coming out I am thinking about this cheaper build with an 1156 mobo. I will upgrade to Sandy or Ivey with a new mobo in about a year/2 years.

what do you think? good deal or no?? I gotta move quick likely, so all opinions are super helpful!

i5 750

Thanks,
Adam
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should
  1. The i5 750 is still a monster. Quad core, able to handle anything you can throw at it.
  2. 750 is overclockable. Will the Sandy Bridge CPUs be so generous?
  3. What is your primary use with the system..?? For gaming, the i5 750 is an excellent processor and will remain so for another 3+ years to say the least..
  4. Gaming will be the main purpose yea. I was thinking of pairing the chip with an HD5870... spend abit more on the GPU for the money I save on the CPU.
  5. Perhaps if you're only gaming it doesnt matter, but to play devil's advocate, why WOULD you pay $210 for this aging chip when SB is coming out in 5 weeks, will be faster than this, and is widely expected to be the same or lower price? According to the AT Preview, the lowly i5 2400 will kick butt on the i5 750, and the 2400 will be cheaper than the price you're proposing to pay! Or for about the same price, you could get the i5 2500K which will have unlocked multiplier to overclock (yes I know you can overclock the i5 750 right now too).
  6. I agree, the Sandybridge is tempting and has good stats.

Personally, I weigh the negatives of it as well... new chipset, new socket, bleeding edge pricing/availability (i know they say it will be cheap, but I'm a sceptic)... and the benefit will not be that huge over current chip sets (atleast until they release the high end stuff late 2011).

For me, my GPU will most likely be the bottle neck of my system for the next year. By then we have a market flooded with user tested boards, the higher end chipsets, etc...
  7. a2love said:
    I agree, the Sandybridge is tempting and has good stats.

Personally, I weigh the negatives of it as well... new chipset, new socket, bleeding edge pricing/availability (i know they say it will be cheap, but I'm a sceptic)... and the benefit will not be that huge over current chip sets (atleast until they release the high end stuff late 2011).

For me, my GPU will most likely be the bottle neck of my system for the next year. By then we have a market flooded with user tested boards, the higher end chipsets, etc...

Yes those are some rationalizations. As I said on another post, logic would say its much more likely that prices of i5 750 will be same or lower in January than today. So what do you lose by waiting? If your skepticism re Sb pricing being "bleeding edge" is right, then just nab the 750 in January. And it seems the "new" socket and chipset isnt really a trailblazing technology that will be rife with problems....more a modification to the current LGA 1156.
  8. Ya... your right. I hate it, but your right. I do think sceptisism is good... but the solution is likely to wait. At the worst, you get a price discount with the current chip sets.

I'm just struggling with the wait. What I may do is buy the other components of my system, to tide me over, as long as they are compatible with my likely setup.
  9. a2love said:
    Ya... your right. I hate it, but your right. I do think sceptisism is good... but the solution is likely to wait. At the worst, you get a price discount with the current chip sets.

I'm just struggling with the wait. What I may do is buy the other components of my system, to tide me over, as long as they are compatible with my likely setup.

Patience grasshopper

Like you, I have tided myself over by buying some stuff too on the BF sales....bought a CPU cooler, some RAM, and a PSU. Still waiting on a case and probably a HDD (although I could yank one of my Caviar Blacks from current PC too).
  10. Why not buy this instead?
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54941&promoid=1264 $300 $280AR
    Get thermal paste, free shipping for the whole order, and a $10 gift card to boot.
    Crossfire, SLI via driver hacks, USB3, but no Sata3.

I don't care for this waiting for sandy bridge buisness - I really doubt you're going to get much better prices then an on-sale i5-760 for quite awhile.
  11. So when the Core i5 2400, priced at $184, and the 2500, priced at $205, are selling in January, then the i5 760 which is in NO WAY SUPERIOR to those chips will be selling at a higher price than it is today? Why would this be?

Actually to be fair, perhaps the only thing one could say is superior about the i5 760 vs a non-"K" variant of Sandy Bridge is that you can overclock the 760.

Now what I don't know is the price of mobos. If there is some great deal on a mobo today (like the combo you cited) and the new SB mobos are "full price" then the all-in cost for SB will be higher.

That said, I still would bet that its more likely that prices for i5 760 "old" technology would fall to a level lower than i5 2500 "new" technology, as the optics wouldn't seem right to the common man. Only scenario I could think of is if somehow SB performance really is lame, then there could be a rush of all the fence sitters opting to jump into the i5 760s, although I doubt people will be paying a price PREMIUM for that given an unlocked 2500k is at $216.....why would you pay more than $216 then for the 760? What am I missing?
  12. I'm currently in the same position as the OP and many others obviously.
    I have bought everything over BF-CM except the mobo,cpu, and waiting for better ssd prices.

I am waiting because honestly, I don't see the harm. My honest opinion is even if SB does perform better I will probably end up getting the i5 760 because this will be my first build and I want some tested and proved equipment (that has lasted without being/becoming garbage). I am also a gamer and buying the new stuff might be worth it for a video editor because, I've seen the benchmarks there and thats astounding.
    But being a gamer I will most likely be GPU bottlenecked not CPU. and in 4 years if SB did good I'll upgrade.
    There's no way the i5 760's price won't decrease (even a little) once SB is released, and I imagine its going to be somewhat difficult to get ahold of SB CPU's on the 9th or for a month or so after they are released.
  13. Hi a2love,

Personally I would at least wait and see what happens after SandyBridge drops, it cannot hurt you either way to wait a little over a month till ~Jan, 9. All in all you can only benefit as the current gen. CPU's will likely have a little drop in price and if you decide that the performance/price is good on the SandyBridge you can go with that instead, no regrets if you just wait a little longer. :)

Here are the estimated prices of the SandyBridge CPU's in USD:

14. Thanks for the chart Chief. I have decided to listen to the wisdom of you guys and wait until January for my purchase.

Do you think it is still wise to pick up a few of the other computer items, such as psu, case, etc, around boxing day for the sales? I don't want to get in a position, though, with a case that can't mount my 1155 mobo :)
  15. a2love said:
    Thanks for the chart Chief. I have decided to listen to the wisdom of you guys and wait until January for my purchase.

Do you think it is still wise to pick up a few of the other computer items, such as psu, case, etc, around boxing day for the sales? I don't want to get in a position, though, with a case that can't mount my 1155 mobo :)

The size of the mobos is not changing.....they will be ATX (and a few microATX). You can buy a case now with no hesitation.

No reason you cant get other stuff too like PSU. I did. I even risked it by buying RAM on sale, although many would recommend waiting just to make sure the RAM is compatible. All indications are SB will take dual channel DDR3 RAM just like the current boards, so I risked it cause it was a good price. I figure I can probably Ebay it unopened for same price I paid if I really needed to.
  16. I bought everything but mobo/cpu as well.
  17. Best answer
    a2love said:
    Sure you can :) The prices on PSU's, PC cases, HDD's, and Optical drives will all stay pretty much steady besides for sales, which you can watch out for up until your build time comes. RAM has been slowly falling the past few months so you may want to keep an eye on the sets your looking to buy for a little while.

As for everything fitting, you have nothing to worry about, I would go as far to say ALL mid-tower PC cases should fit ATX(standard Mobo size) as well as Micro ATX(small form factor). As for the PSU, HDD's and Optical drives, no worries they are all set to a standard size.
  18. What's a good graphics card to pair with the i5 2400? Someone suggested the HD 5770.
  19. Best answer selected by a2love.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Build Intel i5