Sign in with
Your question

The Cable Management Thread

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2010 8:02:01 PM

Out of boredom today, I finally decided to attempt some cable management in my Apevia Jupiter case.

I should have taken a before pic, it was a disaster.
While I'm happy with the results, it still looks messy.
Any suggestions, comments, or pics of your own cable management?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 12:32:55 AM

I would say get some cable extenders.

Or see if you can find some stuff at lowes to hide the cables behind. In their electronics sections they have several cable management systems. Of course those systems are not meant for PCs but with a full tower case like yours you may be cable to come up with something that would work.

The key to cable management is having a suitable case. The best ones will have holes already pre-drilled through the mother board tray that allow them to remain hidden.

Good luck with your build.

BTW...Sites like FrozenCPU.com or X-Oxide.com often have custom cables or cable management tools that can greatly assist.
October 1, 2010 5:02:24 AM

dauthus said:
Out of boredom today, I finally decided to attempt some cable management in my Apevia Jupiter case.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/dauthus66/000_0450.jpg

I should have taken a before pic, it was a disaster.
While I'm happy with the results, it still looks messy.
Any suggestions, comments, or pics of your own cable management?

I'm assuming all those cables out of the power supply can be unbundled. If not ignore this suggestion.

But, that 6 pin connector to the motherboard could be instead bunched up with the cables you have above your CPU fan. That way doesn't look like its stretching across the entire board.

SATA cables are quite flexible. You could somehow have it where the yellow cable goes downward, then left, then come back up to connect to motherboard. Definitely recommend that the cable goes behind the bunched up cables on its way to the motherboard.

Other than that, better than I would ever do. Nice job!
Related resources
October 1, 2010 7:01:44 AM

Check out mine. I just finished rearranging the cabling of my PC. Behold, the art of Cable Concealing! :lol: 
October 1, 2010 7:10:58 AM

Considering what your working with, good job. should help with the heat!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 7:18:05 AM

Damas,
I'm not on Failbook so I cant see it :(  **Edit, I can see it now, very, um Yellow :) **

But I think this might inspire the Op :p 

I no longer have the slotfan cooler or the 9500gt, Im on a 5770 now but too lazy to take a pic atm, :) 
check my sig's links for build logs or ideas Dauthus but as a rough start, (Imo ofc)

Be prepared to cut/drill holes in your case, make panels and generally Mod like Fk :p 

Some form of sheeting in front of the psu (side closest to you and 'floor' (level with bottom of psu) as well) along that bar to seal the top off and to give yourself a 'cable cubby' youll be able to move wires about and they'll be unseen, apart from your fan in the roof it wont affect airflow much.

Turn your hdd round so the sata lead comes from the righthand side of case ( front of pc towards you and route the cables for it behind the mobo tray.
your psu leads look plenty long enough to take them all behind the mobo tray and feed through holes in the tray where needed, including the 20+4pin and that 6pin for gfx card.
front panel cables, cut small holes below mobo where they go, feed through from back and fold over to sit in their headers.
Check my logs out, have some ideas and I'll check back later (nightworker)
Moto
October 1, 2010 7:23:16 AM

moto, do you even have cables? rofl
October 1, 2010 7:40:16 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Damas,
I'm not on Failbook so I cant see it :(  **Edit, I can see it now, very, um Yellow :) **

But I think this might inspire the Op :p 

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/pc%20of%20doom%20build/finished.jpg
I no longer have the slotfan cooler or the 9500gt, Im on a 5770 now but too lazy to take a pic atm, :) 
check my sig's links for build logs or ideas Dauthus but as a rough start, (Imo ofc)

Be prepared to cut/drill holes in your case, make panels and generally Mod like Fk :p 

Some form of sheeting in front of the psu (side closest to you and 'floor' (level with bottom of psu) as well) along that bar to seal the top off and to give yourself a 'cable cubby' youll be able to move wires about and they'll be unseen, apart from your fan in the roof it wont affect airflow much.

Turn your hdd round so the sata lead comes from the righthand side of case ( front of pc towards you and route the cables for it behind the mobo tray.
your psu leads look plenty long enough to take them all behind the mobo tray and feed through holes in the tray where needed, including the 20+4pin and that 6pin for gfx card.
front panel cables, cut small holes below mobo where they go, feed through from back and fold over to sit in their headers.
Check my logs out, have some ideas and I'll check back later (nightworker)
Moto

Failbook? Is that what they call it at your country? Adds up a word in my dictionary :lol: 
Anyway, I was confused between the address for the picture and the album. But it's fixed now.

Yes, it's yellow. Don't get me wrong here, since I have no choice, a Biostar motherboard is all I can afford. Unfortunately, the SATA cable is also yellow. So I guess the appropriate theme would be: "The Yellow Submarine" (where have I heard that line before?)

As for your cable management, that "under the floor" concept is exceptional. It made mine like child's play, although the case type is very different than my slim case. Nevertheless, it really reflects the effort of the owner to conceal the cables: drilling, cutting, modifying. That, moto, is a true piece of hardware-art! Bravo!

jason gran said:
Considering what your working with, good job. should help with the heat!
Thanks, but moto has a better cable management than I am.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 1:29:04 PM

Wow! Talk about the thread back from the dead. I made one reply last night to the original post on 9-6-2010 and this whole thread came ALIVE again.

Well since we have it going again let me post some more pics.

Here is a project I worked on last night.

The first thing I did with this CM HAF922 case was place the motherboard over the standoffs then made pencil marks where all of the input cables would go. Then I took Painter's tape and marked where I wanted to holes to be behind the motherboard tray. Once done I took a circular metal drill bit and drilled through the tray.

Once drilled I cleaned the holes out, vacummed up the metal flakes, then installed rubber grommets. You can easily find these grommets at Lowe's or HomeDepot in the electrical or hardware section.

After installing the grommets I fished the cables through the motherboard tray.

Then I slowly lowered the motherboard down on to the spacers then went to work assembling the rest of the PC.

This is not quite the finished result. I should had bundled the case wires and pulled them under the motherboard before I took the picture. It would had made everything look much cleaner and presented this project better.

My next plan is try to figure out a way to get the 24PIN connector and the PCI Express Power cables through the motherboard tray (IF practical) which it may not be.

A lot of the older generation cases are not engineered for this sort of practice due to the lack of space between the MOBO Tray and the back panel but if you got the space it may be worth considering doing something like this.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 4:06:59 PM

**Quote Rwayne**
My next plan is try to figure out a way to get the 24PIN connector and the PCI Express Power cables through the motherboard tray (IF practical) which it may not be.
if you checked out my first thread, you'll see how I routed the 20+4pin behind the Mobo, your cutting is a great deal better than mine man :) 
one thing if I may suggest? shroud your cables going to the hard drive in silver duct tape and if you can get them down the bottom of the case it would invisify them a bit more, Great job though man and I love your attention to detail,

Thanks everyone else for the good feedback, I did spend a lot of thought and time on the case, 2 cases in fact as the first roof section I cut I wasn't happy with and if you liked that as C.M., check out this Mod I did
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/285256-10-bsod-ulti...

its the little things in life I find most pleasing :) 
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 5:16:37 PM

That is awesome! I love the sword and the hatchet plunged in to the case. Never ever thought of doing that.

The sword looks like something only King Arthur could pull out.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 5:25:01 PM

Quote:
one thing if I may suggest? shroud your cables going to the hard drive in silver duct tape and if you can get them down the bottom of the case it would invisify them a bit more

Yes, I am very aware of that. Infact I was at RadioShack yesterday looking for something potentially that I could Shroud them in but did not find any hosing large enough. This is still a work in progress. I plan on devoting more time to it next week then I will post some more pictures.

Thanks for the compliments.
!