Hard drive only shows in BIOS only in 1 SATA spot.

battoot

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I recently completed building my computer and my SSD is showing up on the first SATA 3 port in BIOS and I installed Windows. Then I plugged in my HDD in the other port and it didnt work. I also tried putting it in the first SATA 3 port and it showed up in the BIOS but my SSD didnt work in all the other SATA ports on the board.
Any help??

-Thanks

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
When you plugged the HDD 'into the other port and it didn't work' - what do you mean? - the HDD itself wasn't detected (and the SSD was and thus you were able to boot to the desktop)?

I'd keep the SSD in the original port that worked and explore why your HDD wasn't detected. You did format it?

popatim

Titan
You're motherbd has four sata2 and two sata3 thru the intel chipset and two sata3 connectors via an ASMedia controller for a total of 8 ports on two contrllers.

In the bios under the storage configuration I would set "sata controllers" to enable.
Set "sata mode selection" to ahci
Set ASmedia Sata Mode" to disabled {this turns off ports SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2}
Set SATA3_0, SATA3_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3. SATA2_4, and SATA2_5 to AHCI.
Set SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 to disabled if they aren't already.

Plug your SSD into SATA3_0 and your DVD/BD drive into SATA2_2 and install windows

Once windows is installed you can power down and install the HDD into SATA3_1 and boot back up.

You may need to go into computer management, storage section and initialize the drive. Let us know if you need help with this last step.