Sign in with
Your question

X4500M 5.0 Vs. HD3200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2010 5:29:22 AM

Hi, my little brothers school is giving away free laptops to selected people and they have 2 laptops on offer. One has a better GPU, but a weaker CPU, and the other has a better CPU, but a weaker GPU. Now before you jump the boat, hear me out.

1) Toshiba Satellite-Pro-L450D-12X
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/produ...

2) Samsung R519 (Click on specifications)
http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-r519-celeron-dual-...

The Toshiba comes with a single-core AMD 2.1Ghz CPU. The Samsung comes with a T1900 1.9Ghz Dual Core Celeron, which by all means are not comparable, BUT... The Toshiba comes with the HD3200 whilst the Samsung comes with the Intel X4500M 5.0, which is a weaker GPU. Now before you jump the gun, what I'm trying to propose is, wouldn't it be a better idea to go with the AMD Toshiba and upgrade the CPU to a dual-core? The Toshiba has the socket S1 which apparently will support upto a 2.2Ghz Turion Dual Core.

So, after the upgrade of the AMD, would the Toshiba be a better option? CPU Vs. GPU ratio?

Thanks!

More about : x4500m hd3200

a c 202 U Graphics card
a c 215 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 5:44:21 AM

I would go for the samsung, while the Toshiba has the HD3200, its still an IGP so you arent going to be gaming on it, its not like comparing a discrete card to an IGP in a notebook, neither one is great the intel just happens to be a bit crappier. The Samsung has a bigger hard drive, twice as much ram, and a dual core processor, while you might be able to upgrade the Toshiba CPU i find it unlikely, its not just the socket that needs to match, the motherboards BIOS must also have support for the CPU and most OEM BIOS do not have generic CPU support except for the options that came in that line, all of which are likely semprons or other single core CPUs.
August 1, 2010 6:11:33 AM

Thanks. I did forget to mention not to take notice of the links, as both the laptops come with 1GB of RAM and 160GB HDD.

I checked and the Toshiba has a Socket S1 board, which supports upto 2.4Ghz Turion X2. So what would you choose if the Toshiba did have the Turion 2.4Ghz X2?

I was leaning more towards the Samsung, but the CPU upgrade of the Toshiba got me thinking. (I even heard it plays MW on low with around 20FPS... :) )
Related resources
a c 202 U Graphics card
a c 215 à CPUs
August 1, 2010 6:16:20 AM

If you are getting excited about 20FPS on a first person shooter you are going to be severely disappointed. If the Toshiba was packing a Turion X2 it would be better than the Samsung but still not great, i wouldnt be planning on doing much in the way of gaming on either of them.
August 1, 2010 6:42:48 AM

hunter315 said:
If you are getting excited about 20FPS on a first person shooter you are going to be severely disappointed. If the Toshiba was packing a Turion X2 it would be better than the Samsung but still not great, i wouldnt be planning on doing much in the way of gaming on either of them.

I was just wondering which the best would be out of them, as I wanted everything I could squeeze out of the both. So you say I should go with the AMD instead?
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2010 7:07:16 AM

Yup, I would go with AMD in the Toshiba as well.
!