Sign in with
Your question

First Build, Need advice on finishing it.

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2010 9:01:26 PM

Ok well after alot of research, I finally came up with this:

The 2 sites I prefer to use most are TigerDirect.ca and Newegg.ca, if you know of another or better one please tell me.

Processor: AMD HDT55TFBRBOX Phenom II 1055T Six Core

RAM: Corsair CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 Domintor Dual Channel 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 Memory 1600MHz, 2x2048MB

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel Mid-Tower Case

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus

DVD Burner: Plextor Black 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVDCD Writer LightScribe Support - OEM

Now for motherboards, I was thinking either the:
[ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard]
or the:
[ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard]

Please tell me if any of these are bad choices, or if there are better choices.
I would prefer to spend less, but I want it to be good now, and also later on as well.
I have never overclocked before, but I would like to once I get the new system, at least a bit.

Now I really have no idea what to do when it comes to the graphics card, I have always used nVidia so I know virtually nothing about ATI.
In my current system I've only got a BFG 9800GT GPU.
For the ASUS M4A89GTD how does this onboard GPU compare to other onboards? I also read you could do a "Hybrid CrossFire"? As I said above, I really don't know much about ATI, but would this be a good option?
I really would prefer to spend less here, but I do alot of gaming so it has to be decent as well.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance for the help.

More about : build advice finishing

Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2010 10:40:30 PM

The Samsung f3 is Sata3. I was recently picking between the WD Black FAEX and the Samsung f3, and I went with the f3. There is a little noticable difference between them, in favor of the f3.

Besides that, the f3 is higher rated on Newegg, and I chose it because the latency times were available on the page. The WD doesn't show it, and for that money I want to know what I'm getting.
m
l
September 7, 2010 8:58:19 AM

What games will you be playing with this rig? I've heard peeps complain about the six core amd on certain games but if you will use this computer for applications that can take advantage of 6 cores then get the 6 core otherwise do some research and compare the 6core and the quadcore amds.

Also look at this review: Part 4: Building A Balanced Gaming PC and also the rest of the series.

If you will be playing games that support physx then you might want to consider cards from nVidia.
m
l
September 7, 2010 10:11:48 AM

If gaming then you will want to drop to the Phenom II x4 965 as 6 cores offers nothing.

For GPU you will be wanting either the 5850 or 5870. Which you get depends on which you can afford. I would not go with Nvidia simlpy because your boards will not support SLI so you are beter off with ATI cards

Make sure you keep an eye out for the combo deals. The Asus M4 mobo + Phenom II x4 965 is a combo - $306
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Item...

If you want to stick with the 1055 I believe that is also a combo deal.

m
l
September 7, 2010 11:24:05 AM

jsilvermist said:
Who's the best manufacturers for ATI and who should I avoid? Or is it just personal preference or even really no difference at all?

Oh, I forgot to mention before, I had already found this combo before:
[1. ASUS Crosshair IV Formula + 2. Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 8GB - Newegg.ca]
I haven't really been looking into this long enough to know, is this a decent deal?

Do you really want 8GB of RAM? Most modern games are fine with 4 GB. I would save some of that money and spend it on other pieces like the Video card unless you're going to be running some apps that are memory intensive.

What is your budget by the way so we have a better idea on recommending pieces that will compliment each other.
m
l
September 7, 2010 11:26:36 AM

I would prefer the mobo combo with processor, as punnar says, 8gb is way more than needed for gaming.

As for brands, usually XFX, Sapphire, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte are the better ones. In general it doesn't make much difference amongst those, I tend to look at which of those offers the best deal.
I believe brands like Powercolor and HIS are less desirable
m
l
September 7, 2010 11:30:55 AM

asteldian said:
I would prefer the mobo combo with processor, as punnar says, 8gb is way more than needed for gaming.

As for brands, usually XFX, Sapphire, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte are the better ones. In general it doesn't make much difference amongst those, I tend to look at which of those offers the best deal.
I believe brands like Powercolor and HIS are less desirable

I normally look at the feed backs and reviews before I buy and stay away from items with 30% or more bad reviews.
m
l
September 7, 2010 12:00:52 PM

Ah, for budget I dont really have a set ammount but would prefer to keep it around 1000-1100 before tax.
Including: MoBo, CPU, GPU, PSU, HDD, Case, Memory, and DvD Drive.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:13:51 PM

With the AMD Quad/Hexa-Core's, is the stock HS good enough?
Or with the Haf 932 what's a good HS that would fit in easy enough even with another fan on the side panel?
I've heard there are heating problems with the ASUS CrossHair IV motherboard, do these still exist or would it be better now?
If they haven't is it easy to put new thermal paste on it?

Thanks.

PS: Thermal Compound, which is better?
1. [Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM]
2. [Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound]
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:20:15 PM

the stock heat sink fan combo is fine and comes with thermal compound already on it. If you aren't overclocking, then the stock will do just fine. On lower end AMD chips (Athlon II, BE 955, etc), it can handle an overclock up until you increase the voltage.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:33:30 PM

jsilvermist said:
How is this faster? This is sata 2, the one I posted is sata 3, and all the rest of the specs I read were the same?

The Spinpoint F3 is not faster than the WD1002FAEX...but it's not noticeably slower either.

However, just because the WD drive has a SATA III interface, that doesn't mean it can actually reach those speeds. It's largely a marketing gimmick.

From an Anandtech.com about the new Velociraptor (a faster drive than the WD1002FAEX) :
Quote:
The minimum sequential speed you'll see is around 90MB/s, while the maximum is over 140MB/s. The burst speed here is only 213.6 MB/s, which isn't enough to saturate 3Gbps SATA. In my tests, using the X58's 3Gbps controller yielded better performance with the new VelociRaptor than hooking it up to a 3rd party Marvell 6Gbps controller.

While hard drives are starting to embrace the 6Gbps standard, it's simply not necessary from a performance standpoint.

If a 10k rpm drive can't saturate the older SATA II standard, there's no way the WD1002FAEX, at 7200 rpm is going to need SATA III either.
m
l
!