Sign in with
Your question

Can't get it to start

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2010 9:33:39 PM

My uncle gave me an old computer saying that it won't boot anymore. I got it to finally turn on but I got a "floppy drive(s) fail (40)"
Right under that I get "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded"

It has an asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo, amd athlon (tm) xp 1100mhz cpu, an antec 500 psu, and 2 hdds (one being a WD Caviar SE 1200, the other a " " 1400.)

I know the information here is vague, but I don't have much more to go on and I'm not that tech savy. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

More about : start

a b B Homebuilt system
September 6, 2010 11:32:49 PM

Your manual can be downloaded here:

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/e1876_a7n8x-e_deluxe.pdf

Page 2-17 shows how to clear CMOS. You may be able to get it to work by clearing CMOS using your current battery, but more likely will have to wait until you get a new battery. In either case, you will need to get into BIOS settings at some point to reload defaults or make necessary changes. Once again, the manual will help you.
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:07:46 PM

I was guessing the battery could have died, but I have never experienced it so I thought I would get some input.
And there is a floppy drive, but it's unplugged. I will unselect it as soon as I have time to do so.
I will post with results asap.
m
l
!