Cpu cooler installed upside down - am I wrong?

infinite011

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
IMG_20100906_180325.jpg

Ok so I recently built my pc, and it would start up for a split second then turnoff. I did not breadboard the mobo, but I kept the cpu, cpucooler, and powersupply connected and it did the same thing. I was confident the standoffs were not shorting the board. I also went through the sticky for common problems step by step.

Since I did not have an extra powersupply I had to bring it to a local pc shop. They checked all the parts, and determined it was the psu.

$90 later, I arrive home and realize the cpu cooler is completely upside down. Not sideways. Completely upside down .... since I have a window on the side it looks silly. I called them and they said, "it doesn't matter, but bring it in tuesday and they will fix it."

am I being picky here? I seriously can not understand why someone would put it in upside down.

The faulty psu has been a major pain. I must have troubleshooted for 12 hours straight. Of course I could easily flip the cooler and reapply thermal paste, but I paid good money, and I do not want to lift another finger. Especially after all the troubleshooting... I must have built this computer 10 times over

Do you think newegg will give me some type of gift card? This psu has set me back $80 for service and $20 shipping... nearly the price of the psu!!

What do you guys think?

infinite011

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

cooler works perfectly, and the psu is boxed and ready to be sent back for rma replacement processing.

The thing is I had to go to a cpu place to determine which part was defective. When I got my computer back the cpu cooler was upside down. The opposite of the picture shown.

infinite011

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Not too sure what you mean... why would it blow backwards?

thanks for the input

infinite011

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

That was a great point. I just checked the orientation in the manual and the current setup will be blowing the air back into the case.

WOW. I can not believe the tech told me that it doesnt matter. Can't wait to talk with her tomorrow.

infinite011

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

If I just wanted to switch the orientation would I have to apply new thermal paste?

If so I am going to let them do it