Sign in with
Your question

Cpu cooler installed upside down - am I wrong?

Last response: in Systems
September 6, 2010 9:43:34 PM

Ok so I recently built my pc, and it would start up for a split second then turnoff. I did not breadboard the mobo, but I kept the cpu, cpucooler, and powersupply connected and it did the same thing. I was confident the standoffs were not shorting the board. I also went through the sticky for common problems step by step.

Since I did not have an extra powersupply I had to bring it to a local pc shop. They checked all the parts, and determined it was the psu.

$90 later, I arrive home and realize the cpu cooler is completely upside down. Not sideways. Completely upside down .... since I have a window on the side it looks silly. I called them and they said, "it doesn't matter, but bring it in tuesday and they will fix it."

am I being picky here? I seriously can not understand why someone would put it in upside down.

The faulty psu has been a major pain. I must have troubleshooted for 12 hours straight. Of course I could easily flip the cooler and reapply thermal paste, but I paid good money, and I do not want to lift another finger. Especially after all the troubleshooting... I must have built this computer 10 times over

Do you think newegg will give me some type of gift card? This psu has set me back $80 for service and $20 shipping... nearly the price of the psu!!

What do you guys think?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 9:51:55 PM

Whats wrong with newegg? The cooler looks fine..
Did you RMA the PSU though? Usually they give you 100% refund.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 9:53:20 PM

what do you mean upside down ?
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 9:53:55 PM

Timop said:
Whats wrong with newegg? The cooler looks fine..
Did you RMA the PSU though? Usually they give you 100% refund.

cooler works perfectly, and the psu is boxed and ready to be sent back for rma replacement processing.

The thing is I had to go to a cpu place to determine which part was defective. When I got my computer back the cpu cooler was upside down. The opposite of the picture shown.
m
l
September 6, 2010 9:55:32 PM

obsidian86 said:
what do you mean upside down ?

If you look in the side window.. instead of seeing V8 you see 8A

As if you turned the picture 180 degrees.
m
l
September 6, 2010 10:04:57 PM

I will put a pic up in 2 min... please check thread again so you can see what I am talking about.

Maybe the technician did this for increased airflow???
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:13:33 PM

turn it on and feel which side the cooler is blowing to it should blow backwards
m
l
September 6, 2010 10:16:24 PM

obsidian86 said:
turn it on and feel which side the cooler is blowing to it should blow backwards

Not too sure what you mean... why would it blow backwards?

thanks for the input
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:18:10 PM

back of you case is usually the exhaust fan drawing air out of your case
m
l
September 6, 2010 10:34:31 PM

obsidian86 said:
back of you case is usually the exhaust fan drawing air out of your case

That was a great point. I just checked the orientation in the manual and the current setup will be blowing the air back into the case.

WOW. I can not believe the tech told me that it doesnt matter. Can't wait to talk with her tomorrow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:39:40 PM

Her..hmm. JK

Switch it back, you're having pretty bad turbulence problems in your case now, the exhaust fan and the CPU fan is competing for air..
m
l
September 6, 2010 10:58:12 PM

Timop said:
Her..hmm. JK

Switch it back, you're having pretty bad turbulence problems in your case now, the exhaust fan and the CPU fan is competing for air..

If I just wanted to switch the orientation would I have to apply new thermal paste?

If so I am going to let them do it
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2010 12:29:31 AM

if you remove the cooler, yes new paste, always. If your just moving the fan, then no need to re-grease.
m
l
September 7, 2010 12:32:05 AM

I don't know if I would trust these guys to install the thermal paste properly. They probably put it on with a spoon and say "it doesn't matter".
m
l
!