Problems Cloning HDD

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[strike]I need help cloning my HDD. First, I'm not a computer expert, at all. Second, I've read through some posts and I know it is not a good idea to clone an HDD to a SSD but I need to do this quick because my laptop's HDD is acting very funny and its going to die on me.

I currently have a ST9500325AS HDD in my laptop, which according to Seagate's website, is SATA2.
The new drive that I bought is an Intel 330 SSD SATA3.
I have put the Intel SSD into an external HDD enclosure, a NexStar CX, which has a USB 2.0 connection and is compatible with SATA1&2.
I have downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

HERE ARE THE PROBLEMS
1. After plugging in the Intel SSD through the enclosure, my computer doesn't recognize it in "My Computer."

2. When I go into EaseUS, and select Disk Clone, I can't click the "Next" button - the option doesn't enable as I cannot select the "Source Disk."

Help but please keep in mind that I'm not an expert.[/strike]

Figured it out - I didn't initialize the new SSD.

NEW PROBLEM
How I do I allocate the previously unallocated space - the space that I made free on the D drive? I would now like to expand the D drive on the SSD.

"How I do I allocate the previously unallocated space?"

Create a partition (New Simple Volume) on that unallocated space, then format it:

Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

In the bottom-right panel, right-click the appropriate drive's unallocated space to perform the above operations on it.

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

After specifying volume size, it asks to assign a Drive Letter or Path. Option one has a new letter but option 2 asks to Mount in the following empty NTFS folder - after browsing, partitions C and D are available - should I select D here?

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
But this just becomes a new partition with a different drive letter. How do I extend the D drive?

When I the remaining space is unallocated and I right click on D, the option to Extend isn't available....

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Can you or someone else recommend one? I tried using a free version from cnet but it installed a search bar and changed the default search on all my browsers.