Processor burnout for the i7

Crystalice32

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hello, our small company is trying to set up a computer that will run videos at food shows and handle high resolution photo manipulation. We plan on running software such as Adobe and Microsoft Office Professional and some video editing software as well. Our HP contact said that if we buy an HP with the i7 cpu that it will burn out in a couple of years. He mentioned that no laptop is set up to handle this processor and we should not even contemplate using it... is this so? What would be our alternative, the i5?

Solution
LOL.... gotta love HP guys.... they come out with some rubbish at times and this is the best yet.

All Intel chips come with "Thermal Throttling" and in the serbious event of it overheating it will simply lower the clock speed unil the temperature falls below the thermal limit. Worst case scenario.... it will shut down to prevent damage,

A decent HSF will keep temps in check - just keep it cleaned out one in a while and it will be fine.

ulysses35

Distinguished
LOL.... gotta love HP guys.... they come out with some rubbish at times and this is the best yet.

All Intel chips come with "Thermal Throttling" and in the serbious event of it overheating it will simply lower the clock speed unil the temperature falls below the thermal limit. Worst case scenario.... it will shut down to prevent damage,

A decent HSF will keep temps in check - just keep it cleaned out one in a while and it will be fine.

Solution

Crystalice32

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Thanks for the information, much appreciated! Looks like it's a go for the I7.