Modem drivers causing constant disc accessing

July 13, 2005 7:56:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

1) This is part of a post I sent to some other newsgroups a few days
ago:

"In Windows Task Manager an instance of svchost.exe (with a PID number
of 972) is continuously accessing my hard drive at a frequency of just
under once per second.

With the help I got on a related post I've used tasklist.exe to
establish that svchost.exe (PID 972) has the following components:

AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc, lanmanserver,
lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,
ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv,
Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc,
wuauserv, WZCSVC"

2) Today I installed XP slipstreamed with SP2 onto a new hard drive
(but I'm back on the old OS & HDD now) and as soon as I installed the
modem drivers the svchost disc activity started. I uninstalled the
drivers & the problem went away.

I ain't gotta clue why this is so & it'll be a few days before I can
spend some time on it. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas I'ld
be glad to hear them!
--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 13, 2005 7:56:10 PM

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> 1) This is part of a post I sent to some other newsgroups a few days
> ago:
>
> "In Windows Task Manager an instance of svchost.exe (with a PID number
> of 972) is continuously accessing my hard drive at a frequency of just
> under once per second.
>
> With the help I got on a related post I've used tasklist.exe to
> establish that svchost.exe (PID 972) has the following components:
>
> AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
> ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc, lanmanserver,
> lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
> Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,
> ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv,
> Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc,
> wuauserv, WZCSVC"
>
> 2) Today I installed XP slipstreamed with SP2 onto a new hard drive
> (but I'm back on the old OS & HDD now) and as soon as I installed the
> modem drivers the svchost disc activity started. I uninstalled the
> drivers & the problem went away.
>
> I ain't gotta clue why this is so & it'll be a few days before I can
> spend some time on it. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas I'ld
> be glad to hear them!
> --
> John Latter

Hi John XP management can be improved by using the info provided by Black
Viper. There
are quite a few bits that most of us don`t really need to run. Go to the
site I list here, and print out BVs recommendations.
best wishes..OJ
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:36:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:47:43 GMT, "old jon"
<ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> 1) This is part of a post I sent to some other newsgroups a few days
>> ago:
>>
>> "In Windows Task Manager an instance of svchost.exe (with a PID number
>> of 972) is continuously accessing my hard drive at a frequency of just
>> under once per second.
>>
>> With the help I got on a related post I've used tasklist.exe to
>> establish that svchost.exe (PID 972) has the following components:
>>
>> AudioSrv, BITS, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp,
>> ERSvc, EventSystem, helpsvc, lanmanserver,
>> lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan,
>> Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,
>> ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv,
>> Themes, TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc,
>> wuauserv, WZCSVC"
>>
>> 2) Today I installed XP slipstreamed with SP2 onto a new hard drive
>> (but I'm back on the old OS & HDD now) and as soon as I installed the
>> modem drivers the svchost disc activity started. I uninstalled the
>> drivers & the problem went away.
>>
>> I ain't gotta clue why this is so & it'll be a few days before I can
>> spend some time on it. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas I'ld
>> be glad to hear them!
>> --
>> John Latter
>>
>Hi John XP management can be improved by using the info provided by Black
>Viper. There
>are quite a few bits that most of us don`t really need to run. Go to the
>site I list here, and print out BVs recommendations.
>best wishes..OJ

Thanks OJ :)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
July 13, 2005 10:55:47 PM

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
>>best wishes..OJ
>>

> Thanks OJ :)
>
> --
>
> John Latter

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
Hope I got it this time. Didn`t show up in the post last time...OJ
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:22:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:55:47 GMT, "old jon"
<ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:47:43 GMT, "old jon"
>> <ImNotIn@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Hi John XP management can be improved by using the info provided by Black
>>>Viper. There
>>>are quite a few bits that most of us don`t really need to run. Go to the
>>>site I list here, and print out BVs recommendations.
>http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
>http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
>>>best wishes..OJ
>>>

>> Thanks OJ :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>
>http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
>http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services
>Hope I got it this time. Didn`t show up in the post last time...OJ

Thanks for the links OJ, someone has suggested that "I/O doesn't
necessarily refer to your hard drive. Input and output of data are
also part of the normal functioning of your modem, which would be my
guess at the cause of the numbers you are watching."

Looks like I might have been worrying over nothing at all but I
probably won't be able to look into it anymore until the weekend.