Sign in with
Your question

GA-X58A-UDR3: Raid5 solution and 24GB Ram installation issues

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2010 3:39:59 AM

Hi,

I have build a machine that is meant to run the latest adobe premium software. Its meant to have a lot of grant.

Pretty much this is what I have in my system.
Mobo: Gax58a-udr
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Edition

A solid state drive that I have installed win7 pro 64bit on.

5 one terabyte WD drive to configure raid 5 to use for storage and access data quickly.

24GB of RAM (it only shows 16 usable)

My objective:

Use all 24GB of RAm and to create raid 5.

The OS installed correctly plus all my drivers (graphics and sound and all)

Problem:

1. However the system only says 16GB of usable RAM. Is there anyway of making/tweeking the mobo to see all?

2. Cant seem to configure raid 5 in win 7 or cant create raid5 using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software either. Considering that the system is really fast it took a day and a half to initialise the disk without much luck.

Am I just barking up the wrong tree or is there any solution(s) out there that can help me achieve my objectives.

Looking forward to any helpful hints or suggestions.

September 9, 2010 6:19:24 PM

You picked the wrong board to stack ram into... that one is probably the most finicky [x58] to get ram working correctly and at proper clocks and settings.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2010 2:18:57 AM

^+1.

Anyways WHY would you even build a set up with so much RAM on a consumer board? You should have gone with a Server board, possibly 2P esp. considering you got a $1k CPU.....

AND a 2P board with 2x4C/8T would have benefited you MORE than a single 6C/12T CPU, esp. for Premere....

My recommendation (and I usually don't suggest some thing as drastic as this): Return/sell the current i7 EE CPU + motherboard + RAM. Then grab your self 2x Intel Xeon E5620 and a good 2P server board (ASUS,TYAN,etc) such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And some ECC RAM.
m
l
September 11, 2010 10:21:59 AM

Thanks for the replies..... my bad didnt get the right board as suggested. Looks like there are no solutions for raid5 with current board. Unless there is someone out there who has come up with a solution for raid5, I'll make a raid0 and raid1 configurations instead.

BTW: will go with a server board next time.
m
l
!